Lady Olympians make it to state

Coach Jim Fegan and his women’s swimming and diving team have endured a successful 2009 campaign.

The Lady Olympians finished the dual meet season undefeated with conference victories against Grossmont, Palomar and Southwestern College along with a non-conference victory against Mt. San Antonio.

This is the second consecutive season in which the women’s swimming and diving team have clinched the Pacific Coast Conference dual meet championship.

“The team was not challenged in any dual meets, but there have been some great individual swims throughout the season,” said Fegan.

In the Mt. Sac Invitational, the Lady Olympians finished third out of 18 schools. During a meet at Chaffey in early March, the Lady Olympians had another top three finish, placing second out of 10 schools.

This season, freshmen Murphy Wimer, Julie Wells, Talyssa D’Avila, Nicole Macarthur and Marykate Foster along with sophomores Whitney Porter and Lauren Braswell have all be tremendous, earning victories, and posting top individual and relay times.

“It has been encouraging to see so many improve their best times in the middle of hard training. We have several individuals and relays that are ranked in the top three state-wide,” said Fegan.

With the help of first year diving coach Kristie Bowdler, sophomore Megan Looney was a standout during the PCC and Southern California Championships displaying her polished diving skills.

“She’s the best [Bowdler]. This is her first season here and already I’ve learned more from her than I’ve learned in two years on other teams,” responded Looney. “She pushes me to do new things and is very encouraging. She knows what she’s doing.”

Looney finished second in the conference meet in both the 1-meter and 3-meter board events. She is also a member of The Mesa Press.

“I nailed a lot of dives but my twisters really need work,” she added. “I think if I fix those I will have a better chance to do well at state.”

Looney qualified for the state championships with her sixth place finish again in the 1-meter and 3-meter events at the Southern California Championships.

“My expectations, as cliché as it sounds is just to do my best and maybe that will get me in the top 10. I am preparing for state just as hard as I have been all season and focusing on cleaning up my twisters,” she concluded.

Looney, along with teammate Elise Aquilar, will represent the women’s dive team at the state championships later this month.

Coach Fegan is confident in his team and is focusing on a top five finish at state.

“We have had a few ups and downs during the season, with injuries and illnesses setting our progress back for a couple of weeks, but I am confident that they will perform well at the state championships,” said Fegan.

The state championship meet takes place in Long Beach from April 23-26.