Spring Sports Kickoff

The constantly changing seasons on any college campus gives all its students a newfound appreciation for many things including their studies, the changing weather, different class schedules, new faces and fresh sports teams.

Six sports teams take the court, hit the field, and dive into the pool this spring again at Mesa, all eager for their home openers and new beginnings to play out.

Men’s tennis looks to carry on their 10-0 record in conference and hold up to their fifteenth place finish in the state, led by sophomore Dane Thompson a singles player who ranked 42 in California. The Men’s next home game is on Tuesday, Feb. 23 at 2 p.m. against San Diego City College. Women’s tennis plays Cerritos College on Friday, Feb. at 2 p.m.

Pitching coach for the Mesa baseball team, Kyle Owsley feels the boys have been devoting just the right amount of effort and dedication to make this season a successful one.

“We have practiced hard all off-season; I can only hope the games reward the players for their efforts,” said Owsley.

When the season starts and games come two to three times per week, practices shift to a different pace.

“We practice our team defenses and are working towards a solid mental approach. Our hitters are concentrated on executing our offensive approach, and our pitchers are working very hard on competing consistently in the strike zone,” Owsley said.

Softball, led by coach Jaclyn Noel Guidi, has the right start to their season already. Winning their first game against Mt. San Jacinto ending with a 16-0 final score.

The girls take on Long Beach College at Mesa on Saturday, Feb. 13 at noon.

Women’s Swim and Dive finished 5th in the state championship last year with multiple swimmers breaking school records and earning top ten titles.

Murphy Wimer won her third individual state title with a 56.34 second sprint in the100 Fly. In the 400 Free Relay, the team of Wimer, Nicole Macarthur, MaryKate Foster and Julie Wells recorded a school record 3:38.22.

Men’s Swim and Dive came in 9th at the 2009 state championships and broke a new school record with top ten finishes.

In the 200 Free Relay, Steve Neville, Chris Quiroz, Jerid Hinze, and Mike Sensenbaugh set a new school and Pacific Coast Conference record. Marco Osorio set school and PCC records in the 200 IM and finished 8th in the state.

Both Men’s and Women’s swim and dive take on Grossmont at Mesa on Friday, Feb. 19 at 2 p.m.

Track and Field led by coach Renee Ross will compete in the San Diego State University Aztec open on Saturday, Mar. 13.

For more information or full season schedules for any of the Mesa sports teams visit www.sdmesa.org/athletics.