Softball hoping to reach playoffs this year

There’s only one thing on the mind of Softball Head Coach Jaclyn Guidi; “Playoffs.” Herm Edwards couldn’t put a better emphasis on it. “.And to be above .500 and hit .300 as a team.”

Last season the Lady Olympians, 14-14(8-6), finished third in conference just missing a spot in the playoffs. With a new season underway playoffs aren’t out of reach.

Three girls on the 25-woman roster are returning from last season. All three of them key to the success of the team. One standout is sophomore Kelsey McGowan.

Kelsey, who signed with UCSD, led the team with a .418 batting average and 24 RBI’s along with a .938 fielding percentage.

Fast-forward a little under a year and the women are warming up to get their season started. January 27, Orange Coast College made the trip down here to get the season kicked off. The Lady Olympians wasted no time doing just that. Sophomore Natalie Smith took the mound and held OCC without a run until the fourth inning.

In the second inning though, McGowan hit a bases loaded triple to lead a surge of offense the rest of the game. With a 9-1 lead at the end of the 5th, The Umpire called the game giving the Lady Olympians an Opening day victory. “[This Win] showed me their intensity.that their head was in the game,” Jaclyn commented.

Not a day later, the team headed north to Glendale Community College for the Annual Glendale Tournament. The girls played four games, with two wins against Chaffey and LA Pierce, and two losses one of which was a 6-3 loss against top ranked Cerritos.

February 2 was the date for their first of two double headers that week. First being a game against Golden West College and Pasadena City College. Mackenzie Sharp pitched both games giving them a 5-4 extra inning win over Golden West and a 9-0 win against Pasadena.

February 9 the girls take on La Harbor College in Wilmington at 2p.m.