Mesa Softball gearing up for playoff run

Head Coach Jaclyn Guidi of Mesa’s softball team is leading the way into round 2 of the conference season with an overall record of 18-4 and a tie with Palomar College for first place in Pacific Coast Athletic Conference.

“We would like to make playoffs…if we win conference it would be absolutely huge,” Coach Guidi said.

The lady Olympians defeated Imperial Valley College on March 9, with a final score of 13-3. Cheering from fans and players could be heard as far as the new parking lot. One Olympian fan on the bleachers said, “Once they start getting runs they don’t stop.” And that is what occurred. At the start of the 2nd inning, Mesa was up 5-1.

With the chanting of the song, “Here comes the boom. Ya’ll don’t really want it now”  in the background, the lady Olympians launched their softball hits into the afternoon air and onto IVC’s playing field, scoring run after run leading up to the final score of 13-3.

In the 3rd inning, first-string pitcher, #13 Laura Nelson, was hit in leg with a softball after making the pitch. After being hit, she threw the ball to first base getting her IVC opponent out.

When asked about the game, first semester freshman Nelson said, “It was a good win. We’re tied for first in conference so we needed this…. Today wasn’t my best game but the defense backed me up so I was still confident.”

Coach Guidi said Nelson is one of the best pitchers in conference.

“….people think it’s good to be left handed. I like to stay inside and jam a lot of the girls. Usually teams don’t get that many runs against me,” Nelson said when asked about what differentiates her as a pitcher.

A high fly ball that looked sure to fly over the fence was chased down and caught by outfielder #7 Kaeli Hunyady in the 4th inning, getting the second out for Mesa and firing up the team and fans.

Centerfielder and Captain #2 Rebecca Dawson, is the fastest runner, holds a 3.5 GPA and attends the tutoring center weekly. Coach Guidi said Dawson sets the example on and off the field and is a silent leader.

“[Dawson will] say, ‘Hey girls I’m going to the tutoring center who wants to come’,” Nelson said.

When asked about the chemistry of the team Dawson said, “Well, we’re a lot more gelled together this year, everybody kind of just fits in. It’s easy to hang out with these girls… We hang out on the weekends.”

Coach Guidi has instilled a “student first, athlete second” mentality into her team. Her goals are to have all of her student-athletes transfer to a University and finish their degree, have a team batting average over .300, and make the playoffs and have an overall record above .500.

“She’s very motivating and positive. She always pushes us to the next level if we are not performing to our standards. She keeps pushing to work harder and harder until we reach it… She has set a tone and we always have to keep working to keep it up there.” Dawson said regarding Coach Guidi.

Three out of the four returning sophomores are being scouted to play at the university level next season.  The remaining sophomore will be attending a university in Oregon. The returning sophomores include: #7 Kaeli Hunyady OF/ 2B, #3 Ciara Washington OF, #2 Rebecca Dawson OF, and #5 Gabriella Naidas 2B/ SS.

The Olympians will continue down their road to the playoffs against Southwestern College on Wednesday March 21 at 3:00pm and Grossmont College on Wednesday March 28 at 3:00pm. Both are away games.