Miracles from Heaven: A faith-based drama

Are you ready for a roller coaster of emotions? Miracles from Heaven is a faith-based movie starring Jennifer Garner with Eugenio Derbez. It is directed by the amazing Mexican director Patricia Riggen, who is best known for her work on the film Under the Same Moon and the Disney Channel original film Lemonade Mouth. Miracles from Heaven is based on the incredible true story of the Beam family about a young girl, Anna Beam (Kylie Rogers), who was diagnosed with a rare incurable disorder that leaves her unable to digest food. Of course, her beloved mother looks for every single possible way to save her daughter’s life, no matter what it takes.

After traveling back-and-forth from Texas to Boston almost every week, to multiple doctor visits and constant pains, Anna’s devoted Christian mother, Christy Beam, begins to doubt God as Anna begins to get worse and no sign of cure is exposed. Christy is anxious as to why no doctor is able to diagnose what her daughter has or even better, a cure for it. Garner delivers a fully committed and convincing performance showing the maternal affection and dedication to her daughter. Rogers also shows the potential and professionalism kids are willing to have at such a young age. The way she performs a character having to go through such a painful disease and rough journey impresses the audience through her acting.

This film focuses more on the sacrifices the family has to make in order to help their daughter rather than on its specific creed. The movie is somewhat revolved around faith and how it can change your view of life; but the movie itself engages and focuses more on making the viewers feel uplifted by the situation rather than trying to convert them. The main emphasis is to see how parents will go through whatever it takes, go through every type of anxiety and stress, in order to help their family especially their children. We get the idea of what real struggles are, what real pain is, and how great most of us have it. We sometimes consider things like the worst situations in the world, but taking a look at what other people have or are going through can really change your point of view.

Even though the film is a bit predictable, viewers are able to feel the unconditional love and sacrifice between the family members through the truly believable and convincing acting. You are either wiping your tears with a tissue or having that smile on your face while feeling like you are living the story with them. Having faith is not all about converting yourself to a certain group or religion, but rather believing that sometimes, as crazy and impossible as it may seem, miracles can happen…and that is what this film is trying to portray.