Chiodos’ new album, ‘Devil,’ heavenly to the ears

For over a decade, Chiodos has been satisfying the ears of millions with their music style. Now prepare to be blown away by their new album, “Devil.”

Originally known as The Chiodos Bros, the band, Chiodos, has come a long way from where they started. One of the biggest downfalls for many listeners was the loss of Craig Owens in 2009. While his voice was unique and easily recognizable, the band’s success did not shatter entirely. Their 2010 album, “Illuminaudio,” featured Brandon Bolmer as the lead singer, whose talent is notable, but was not quite as suiting for Chiodos’ style. Some might say that it was not the quality of the new lead singer that dissatisfied the fans, but the fact that someone was filling the shoes of Owens.

Some might say that the return of Craig Owens for the new album, “Devil,” was the reason for its success. It’s great to have the band back together in an album that is so much like their old stuff, but with a new twist. “All’s Well That Ends Well” was a phenomenal first full album that focused a lot on guitar and the band finding their sound as a whole. Many fans claim that it is the band’s best album. “Bone Palace Ballet” had a very different sound as most songs featured piano; beautiful and suiting for the theme of the album. Every fan knew that “Illuminaudio” was going to be different before it was even released because it would feature a new singer.   Expectations were lowered from the start, but the album had a few brilliant songs on it. The lyrics were different and intense and, together, the songs were very dramatic and built up.

For their new release, “Devil,” Chiodos has taken the best aspects of their abilities from these albums and forged them together in one musical escapade that fans will want to die for. One of the themes that comes out of the lyrics of this album is the process of how the narrator in the songs is growing up and accepting himself. Each song reveals different aspects of the narrator that reveal his strength through the concepts of love and friendship. This album reflects a lot of strength that Chiodos has gained over the last 13 years.

Some of the songs on “Devil,” such as “3AM” have a softer sound than in previous albums. “Duct Tape” is slower paced, which suits the lyrics. This is part of the album’s new twist. Unlike their earlier work, which mostly transitions from heavy vocals to heavily featured instruments to screaming, the band’s new work beautifully intertwines the band’s talent with better transitions. A few songs, like “Expensive Conversations in Cheap Motels” are very similar to “All’s Wells That Ends Well.” “Devil” concludes with the song, “I am Everything That’s Normal,” which begins with heavy piano, reflecting “Bone Palace Ballet.” It progresses into drum rhythms that sound very similar the intensified beats in “Illuminaudio,” as the positive, motivational lyrics protest how the narrator’s differences make him stronger.

“Devil” shows how much Chiodos has grown over the years. Whether it was intentional or not, they have taken all of their previous albums and used them as stepping stones to create this new sound that perfectly combines the glorious guitar and drastic drum sounds of “All’s Well That Ends Well” with the pleasing piano of “Bone Palace Ballet” and the intensity of “Illuminaudio.” Every single song on the new album has its own sound, which will instantly make the album a fan favorite. The lyrics are beautiful and, as open as I was to Brandon Bolmer joining the band for “Illuminaudio,” it is great to have Craig Owens back. It would be difficult to pick a favorite song on the new album, but the first one that comes to mind is “Sunny Days & Hand Grenades.” The song is so sharp, the way it curves from guitar to vocals, and to the piano at the climax of the song. Coming from someone who has loved every album, it is easy to say that if Chiodos did not find their sound in their previous works, they have found it now.