The war on Christmas

Starbucks shows off three of their 13 new cup designs.
instagram.com/starbucks

The major coffee franchise, Starbucks, struck controversy amongst customers across the globe in 2015 when they rid of their traditional wintery and Christmas themed cups during the holiday season. The company began their holiday designs in 1997, but eventually nixed the Christmas-themed cups in an attempt at what some believe was to be politically correct and not limit themselves to one religion. Starbucks shocked many when they replaced their traditional festive cups with simple, solid red cups in 2015.

This single red cup caused a stir up for buyers everywhere. Certain buyers were frustrated that the Christmas spirit was dwindled through a lifeless and plain cup, while others were pleased with the neutral seasonal cup change. Whether it was a positive or a negative review- the red cups became very well known, and began the infamous “war on Christmas” controversy.

This year, in 2016, many sat anxiously on the edge of their seats while awaiting the unveiling of the highly anticipated new cup design. This time around, Starbucks seems to have gotten it right.

The company released their new design on Nov. 10, which features 13 different drawings that appear on the surface of their cups. They are not just any drawings, though. These drawings come from many different inspired coffee drinkers around the world who had previously taken it upon themselves to draw their personalized artwork directly on the plain cups. The cups, as Starbucks puts it, have been “created by you.”

With this fitting new design, how can anyone complain? The cups are unique and come directly from the minds and artistry of loyal customers from all over the world map. Those who claimed the solid red cups were responsible for taking away their holiday spirit cannot deny the joy that comes from drinking out of a cup covered with drawings of candy canes, Christmas lights, and Christmas tree ornaments. Other designs, like those of snowy pine trees and playful swirls, achieve the fun spirit that arrives this time of the year without focusing too much on one specific holiday.

Starbucks has outdone themselves with the personalized feel that each cup possesses, and continues to make drinking Peppermint Mochas and Gingerbread Lattes even more spirited during this time of the year.

While the responses of those in 2015 may have been over the top, the world-renowned coffee shop has come back with a cup that is able to satisfy the coffee-drinking expectations of many. This compromise remains fair while still upholding the traditional holiday spirit, and overall creating the perfect balance that should be sure to put the “war on Christmas” controversy to an end around the globe.