Lucy Dacus’s ‘Historian’: Raw and Real

Lucy Dacus’s “Historian,” was released this March, garnering approval from both audience and critic ratings.

Dacus is a 22-year-old American indie-rock singer and songwriter. Since the release of her first album, “No Burden,” in 2016, fans have been eagerly awaiting her next.

The first line of the first song, “the first time I tasted somebody else’s spit, I had a coughing fit” sets up the rest of “Historian” perfectly. The 10-track album is intimate in every sense of the word. Dacus couples quiet confessions and subtle observations with sonorous vocals and poetic lyrics. “Historian” is an honest account of love, suffering, and, ultimately, hope.

“Historian” perfectly encapsulates the essence of one’s young-adult years. It deals not so much with the truisms of heartbreak, but rather the constant adjusting and readjusting that accompanies growth spurred by love and loss (in a variety of contexts). In an interview with KPBS, Dacus explains the album title: “I felt I needed to acknowledge that I’m one of the two historians in that song. It’s a song about two people who are capturing each others’ lives, through words and experiences, and when one is gone the other person is going to be left with facets of who they were – through journals and photographs.”

“Historian” is a conceptual masterpiece. Be certain to add this album to your Spotify queue.