Craft beer connoisseurs also benefit charity

President+and+co-founder+of+Its+All+About+The+Kids+Angela+Brannon-Baptiste+and+her+team+raise+money+for+their+foundation+
President and co-founder of Its All About The Kids Angela Brannon-Baptiste and her team raise money for their foundation

Photo Credit: Chelsea Heath

Photo Credit: Chelsea Heath

Chelsea Heath, Staff Writer

The Mission Valley Craft Beer and Food Festival (MVCBF) was a craft beer and foodie paradise, and this year, it was all about the kids.                     

The festival that took place on March 31 at the now SDCCU Stadium, was more than just a haven for beer drinkers and food lovers. A portion of the proceeds from the festival also went to It’s All About The Kids foundation, a non-profit organization in San Diego that works to “bridge the weekend hunger gap” for children in impoverished communities. President and co-founder of the foundation, Angela Brannon-Baptiste, said, “Right now we’re focusing on Barrio Logan, and we give out about 3,000 meals a week in bags of food…and we give it to working families and their kids when they pick up their kids from the after school programs.” Baptiste explained that the goal for the money raised during the festival is to open a food pantry on Market Street, where families can come and pick out their own food.

Each bag of food contained bulk items such as potatoes, rice, beans, and various fruits and vegetables. Baptiste also explained that recipes are included with every bag, written in both english and spanish, so families can get new ideas of how to make different meals. Those who are interested in donating to the foundation are encouraged to do so through the website www.itsallaboutthekids.org. Festival attendees were also able to donate in person if they chose.

Besides giving back to charity, the festival was a place to grab some grub and enjoy some California brewed beer and spirits. Featuring over 20 breweries, distilleries, and restaurants, those in attendance had lots to choose from. Tyson Blake with O’Briens Pub in Kearny Mesa, has participated in the festival since its beginning in 2009. When describing the food he prepared for the event, Blake said, “Today we brought beer-braised beef cheek. We made love to a carrot today by pureeing the roasted carrots as well as taking the carrot tops and making a chimichurri out of (them). And then a little bit of beet green on top.” The dish was paired with Nickel Brewing’s “Get to the-hopper”, a German-hopped pale ale.
            Charity, food, beer, and music, the MVCBF had it all. The event featured music by Laugh Out Loud Band and Adam Lasher, the grooves of which had many festival participants dancing. When asked what her favorite part of the event was, attendee Nicole Wooding said, “ Oh, San Diego Brewing Company– the San Diego Ipa and the beer cheese soup was phenomenal. And the music was great too, so we had a great time.” With so much to offer, participants left full and happy.

• Craft beer connoisseurs also benefit charity