Good libations await at West Coast Tavern

San Diego hosts many restaurants where the craft cocktails are up to par with the menu’s equally scrumptious food items, but one must-try spot that tops the list is West Coast Tavern, located in North Park at 2895 University Ave.

This modern speakeasy – complete with nostalgic Edison light bulbs – is located in the same building as the Historic North Park Theater, and the ambiance is perfectly paired with its past life. Its conveniently close locale makes it the perfect place to eat and drink before enjoying one of the featured plays, concerts or movie viewings held in-house.

As the craft cocktail scene in San Diego continues to grow, local mixologists are vigorously muddling fruits with premium liquors and treating their customers to new, artistic libations.

At West Coast Tavern, the craft cocktail list includes new age cocktails like the “Mommy Dearest” martini, which is a melodic infusion of citrus vodka, strawberry puree and basil, as well as classic bourbon beverages like the sweet and potent Old-Fashioned.

Fans of the oh-so-soothing bourbon should make a visit during Wednesday’s bourbon night. Weekly, West Coast features special bourbons on a discount, bourbon flights and pairings with special menu items.

After tossing back a few libations, it is time to venture into the food menu at West Coast. A great appetizer to start off with is the triple dip platter with white bean hummus, roasted red pepper romesco and a spinach and artichoke served alongside crispy flatbread and vegetables, for those looking to get their vitamins.

The butter leaf bleu salad with bleu cheese and candied nuts tossed in a house vinaigrette is another great starter dish. The simple and healthy salad is a great way to prime your stomach for a dose of the homemade mac ’n’ cheese.

This ultimate comfort food, makes a double duty appearance on their menu – available both in the traditional cheese-only flavor or with a blend of tasty ingredients. On any given day, the spiral cavatappi noodles that West Coast uses can be smothered in cheese and adorned with roasted garlic, caramelized onions, meatloaf, arugula or something equally as funky.

Despite the healthy portions of entrees that you’ll enjoy at West Coast Tavern, definitely save room for dessert as well. The crème brûlée trio changes weekly but always features three uniquely flavored, shot-sized custard creations. For a fun and interesting ending to your meal, try the daily cotton candy in flavors such as bubble gum and “spooky fruity”.

The pistachio custard bread pudding in its warm, cinnamon-infused glory will send you into a diabetic fit – in a good way. Served with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce, this old school dessert is livened up with whole pistachios, golden raisins and the slightly crispy chunks of bread.

Dinner and drinks is not the only thing that West Coast Tavern has to offer – on Saturdays and Sundays a brunch menu is available until 3 p.m., featuring bacon waffles, fried peanut butter and jelly sandwiches, frittatas and “Bennies” (various egg Benedict spin-offs).