PB Fish Shop will get you hooked

PB Fish Shop serves up oyster shooters for $1.00 apiece every Thursday starting at 4 p.m.

Pacific Beach Fish Shop brings in local diners and others from around San Diego County with fresh ways of serving local, freshly caught seafood, at 1775 Garnet Avenue.

For the past two years the space at 1775 Garnet Avenue became a graveyard for up-and-coming restaurateurs.  Three separate businesses, two of which had previously been Mexican themed taco shops, opened and closed its doors within a 6-8 month time span.

Pacific Beach Fish Shop, now entering its second inaugural year, is starting to turn heads with shockingly fresh seafood from Catalina Offshore.

Customers choose their choice of seafood, optional marinade, and the style in which they would like their meal prepared: as a taco, sandwich, salad, or plate. The Fish Shop also boasts a variety of local microbrews to pair with your meal, and a limited selection of wine.

The lobster taco with garlic butter marinade was refined enough to come through the cool cabbage slaw without overpowering. The red snapper taco with Fish Shop Seasoning has a slight kick, but doesn’t sting the nostrils.

Sandwiches leave something to be desired, however, as the Oyster Po’boy lacked overall depth and originality and the Albacore sandwich was muddled with a mediocre tartar sauce.

Among other favorites are the Fish Shop Shrimp, Shrimp Cocktail and Fish Shop Chowder.

Beers on tap include Stone Porter, Green Flash IPA, Ballast Point Calico and Coronado Orange Avenue Wit.

The bottled selection is even more diverse, with selections from additional local breweries such as Alesmith, Karl Strauss and Lightning Brewery that will keep you coming back for more.

Cost may be the largest deterrent for Pacific Beach diners, with the average taco hovering around $5.00 and some plates wearing a $24.00 price tag.

Aside from $1.00 oyster shooters on Thursdays starting at 4 p.m., Beach Fish Shop may need to come up with some inventive ways to expand their clientele.

Overall, this new eatery shows a lot of potential and might possibly set the bar for future Pacific Beach restaurants.

A complete menu can be reeled in online at www.thefishshopPB.com or cast your order via telephone at (858)-483-4746.