Top movies coming this fall

Ask anyone­- this summer has been one of the hottest we’ve ever experienced- and not just literally. It’s been a sizzling year in a wide assortment of categories like politics, science, sports and of course, movies. “The Dark Knight Rises” and “The Avengers” alone made almost $2.6 billion worldwide. Sadly, the summer will soon be coming to a close, but don’t put away that sunblock just yet, movie goers. Films set to hit theatres this fall keep the heat coming with a wide lineup of sure-to-be blockbusters. Among the luxuriance of movies to release this fall, these are the films that the Mesa Press believes will be leading the charge to the box office.

5. “The Perks of Being a Wallflower” – September 21

• Based on the 1999 book by Stephen Chbosky, the film adaptation has a plethora of both distinguished and rising stars, such as Logan Lerman, Emma Watson, Paul Rudd and Dylan McDermott. The story revolves around the shy and isolated Charlie (played by Lerman) as he attempts to survive the tribulations of high school.  The film is to follow the book’s storyline, as the movie adaptation is both written and directed by Chbosky. Due to the typecasting of her former co-stars from the “Harry Potter” franchise, critics will pay close attention to Watson’s performance in this film, especially considering the PG-13 nature of the book.

4. “Looper” – September 28

• Taking place in the future of 2047, Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays the role of Joseph Simmons, a “looper.” A looper is an agent who uses the method of time traveling to track down, kill and successfully dispose of any targets assigned to him. It is a looper’s absolute duty to ensure that their targets do not escape. But when he is to track down his future self (played by Bruce Willis), he must reach within himself to finish the job. This movie’s unorthodox plot and filming style, along with the firepower that Willis and Gordon-Levitt bring will make this film one fans will want to go back in time for.

3. “Life of Pi” – November 21

• Ang Lee, the director of several Oscar nominated films like “Brokeback Mountain” and “Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon” returns to the limelight with his interpretation of “Life of Pi,” based off of the 2001 novel written by Yann Martel. After surviving the crash of his parents’ freighter ship, Piscine “Pi” Patel finds himself on the journey of his adolescent life. He finds odd company in a Bengal tiger as the pair embarks on a quest across the vast Pacific Ocean, with Pi learning more about life and spirituality each step of the way.

2. “Wreck-It Ralph” – November 2

• From the minds of Walt Disney Animations Studios comes “Wreck-It Ralph,” the story of a video game villain who simply wants to show the world that he can be a good guy after growing weary of being bad all the time. The film features an excellent vocal cast, including John C. Reilly, Jane Lynch and Sarah Silverman. Besides its star-studded vocal ensemble, the movie showcases various popular characters from gaming franchises such as “Street Fighter,” and “Sonic the Hedgehog,” adding a whole other level of attraction to the film. Behind the screen is director Rich Moore, who is noteworthy for his work on “Futurama” and “The Simpsons,” so movie goers can expect to have a good laugh while enjoying that classic Disney charm.
  1. “Red Dawn” – November 21
  • After a long three years of production and surviving the financial troubles that impeded the film’s creation, “Red Dawn” finally hits theatres in late November, two years after its intended release. A remake of the original 1984 film, “Red Dawn” takes place in a small town in Washington where all hell breaks loose when an invasion by North Korea occurs. With their friends and family being taken as prisoners, three young men- Robert Morris (played by Josh Hutcherson) and brothers Jed and Matt Eckhert (played by Chris Hemsworth and Josh Peck respectively)- lead the charge to fight for their freedom and way of life.