The Green Flash pitches perfect trifecta

You’ve scored yourself a hot date. Way to go! Being the gentlemen you are, you’re looking for the perfect place to impress the lucky girl.

There are so many different considerations to take into account before making such a big decision. Is she a sunset on the beach kind of girl? Would she prefer a nice dinner at a sitdown restaurant? Perhaps, she’s not into either and would rather just get a drink at the bar.

Whatever the case may be, you’re in luck. The Green Flash – located at 701 Thomas Avenue in Pacific Beach – happens to deliver all three.

Just about anybody can appreciate a sunset and with the miles of coastline San Diego has to choose from, it’s not hard to find a good one.  The Green Flash however, offers a front row seat to one of the best you can get. The sunsets are so enjoyable, in fact, that the restaurant’s name was changed in 1990 from Armando’s Snack Bar Café, to its current official title, Armando’s The Green Flash.

For those of you not familiar, the Green Flash is not only the name of a great restaurant, but also a natural phenomenon.  Right as the sun nearly disappears into the horizon, for a split second the upper part flashes from yellow to green. In order to witness the incredible optical effect, weather conditions must be completely clear, and the atmosphere must be relatively clean.

If you’re going to catch it anywhere, Armando’s The Green Flash is one of your best bets.  Even if you and your date aren’t lucky enough to see the special occurrence this time, you will still enjoy a beautiful ocean sunset and rest assured you will not be disappointed by the food.

Whether its seafood or steaks that suit your fancy, you will be impressed. Considering you’re less than a football field away from the beach, let’s say you want some fresh seafood. It doesn’t get much better than the melt-in-your-mouth seafood platter.

Like all of the dinner entrees, it is served with vegetables, bread, and your choice of rice, baked potatoes or French fries. The vegetables include broccoli, zucchini and carrots; all pleasantly crisped in a medley of herbs and butter.

The actual seafood platter itself consists of shrimp, scallops, and your choice of fresh fish. All of which, are consistently fresh and like the vegetables, are also cooked to perfection in a buttery herb sauce. Perfection is not an exaggeration here.

While you cannot wait for your heavenly dinner, your lady friend is one of many, seafood haters. Not to worry, the Green Flash can handle more than just what comes out of the sea. The menu offers a variety of steak options, and even better, prime rib.

Your date clearly has good taste; she did choose to go out with you, after all. Don’t be surprised when she orders the 12 ounce, slow cooked prime rib. It is delivered almost flawlessly, no matter how it’s preferred. Want medium rare? You’re going to get medium rare. However you order your steak, is how you’re going to get it.

Dinner wouldn’t be complete without dessert and the Green Flash has plenty of treats to top off your night. Along with the rest of the menu, there is no wrong choice.

New York cheesecake, carrot cake or a mocha mud pie, you can’t be disappointed! Nevertheless, if you really want to end your night with a bang, there’s no other way to do it than the tuxedo truffle mousse cake.

With layers and layers of yummy goodness every bite is sure to impress you. The chocolate mousse and vanilla custard are excellent, layered into a white cake. The combination is literally lick the plate good.

The patio dining right on the beach is clearly a favorite, while the inside seating offers a great dining experience as well. The walls are wooden, almost creating a log cabin look. The lighting is darker, which has the potential to set the mood without forcing it.

You say she’s a bar type of gal, huh? The Green Flash, once again, has got you covered. While it definitely can create a romantic vibe, it also has a full open bar to offer. Despite what night you may go, you can count on catching the game in the bar.

This is not to raise concern for those of you not interested in the sports madness; the game is on at a perfect volume, not to disrupt the fine diners. If you would like to stop in for a drink or two, happy hours are from 4:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m., Monday through Friday.

So there you have it. All three scenes combined into one remarkable restaurant. Whether you’re trying to impress your date, your family and friends, or your boss, Armando’s The Green Flash is the place to do it.