Yoga postures to balance both body and mind

Through the practice of yoga we are taught to watch our thoughts and listen to our bodies and inner self. We will begin to build confidence and understanding that translates into all other aspects of our lives. Become fully equipped to handle life’s challenging situations– when you learn how to separate your internal self from the external world, clarity and accuracy will be executed in all that you do. Here are three poses that anyone can do and some of the benefits will be noticeable immediately. Try these introspective postures.

“Standing Forward Fold” (Uttanasana)

A very simple and very effective way to take a break from the outside world and check in with yourself. Stand with your feet together, legs straight and bend forward. If the hands can touch the ground, that’s great; if not then work toward that as a future goal. Remember to connect with your breath– deep inhalations and exhalations through the nostrils. Since your head is below your heart this allows for the blood to rush to your head instead of your feet, giving the cells a rejuvenating boost of oxygen. It reduces stress, anxiety, depression and fatigue. It also stimulates the kidneys, liver, and spleen.

“Palm Tree Pose” (Tadasana)
Stand with the feet about three inches apart with your arms at your sides. Distribute your weight evenly on both feet. Raise the arms over the head and interlock the fingers and turn the palms upward. Place the hands on top of the head. Fix the eyes at a point on the wall slightly above the level of the head and keep them there throughout the practice. Inhale and stretch the arms, shoulders and chest upward. Raise the heels– coming up on to the toes. Stretch the whole body from toes to fingers, without losing balance or moving the feet. Hold your breath and position for a few seconds. Lower the heels while breathing out and bring the hands to the top of the head. This is round one, so relax for a few seconds before performing the next round. Do a total of ten rounds. This Asana develops both physical and mental balance. It stretches the entire spine and clears up congestion of the spinal nerves.

“Yoga Mudra” (attitude of psychic union)

Sit in lotus or Indian style. Take hold of one wrist behind the back. Close the eyes and relax the whole body. Inhale slowly and feel the breath gradually rising from your root chakra to the “Ajna” chakra (third eye), holding the breath for a few seconds and keeping your focus there. Exhale slowly while bending forward from the hips. Synchronize the movement with the breath so that the forehead just touches the floor as the air is fully expelled from the lungs. Inhaling, lift the core center back to a vertical position. It is very important to remember to feel the breath and energy moving from your root chakra to the third eye chakra with every inhale and vice versa on the exhale. Round one ends with a slow exhale and your awareness back down the spine to Mooladhara (root) chakra. Do three to 10 rounds. This posture contributes to good general health by massaging the abdominal organs and stretching the back. It relieves anger and tension and induces tranquility.