“Into Darkness” dazzles and defines sci-fi genre

“Star Trek: Into Darkness” was the first of many great movies set to release this summer. The team of Chris Pine as Captain James Kirk and Zachary Quinto as Commander Spock, as well as appearances from the rest of the characters from the previous movie return for another action-packed adventure.

Right away the film dives into a rescue mission on a primitive planet by the crew members of the U.S.S. Enterprise. Immediately the situation becomes tense between the the dynamic duo of Spock and Kirk when the latter compromises Starfleet regulation to save Spock when his life becomes endangered during the mission. The relationship that was blossoming between Spock and Uhura from the first film also rests on thin ice when she jumps to the conclusion that he did not have her in mind when she thought he was going to die.

The plot deepens when a stranger later revealed as Khan launches a surprise attack on Star Fleet, striking both at home and at the heart. Kirk, Spock and company go after Khan, leading to battles with Klingons, numerous explosions and an epic battle at the end.

Star Trek was exceptional aside from a few random details. For one, there was an unnecessary scene when one of the female characters gets undressed and they show a shot of her just in a bra and panties. This had nothing to do with the plot and didn’t contribute to the story in any way. Another example was the fact that this same character played the daughter of an American Starfleet admiral, yet she had a British accent. This could have been for any number of reasons but can still leave any new fans of the franchise in confusion.

Despite its high expectations that the first implicated due to its critical success, J.J. Abrams comes through to deliver an incredible staple in the refurbished “Star Trek” series. It had the perfect amount of romance, action, humor and sarcasm to keep fans entertained through the whole movie.

Rating: 4.5/5