A hop, skip, and jump away from friendship, or even falling in love

I moved to San Diego two months ago from small town Santa Maria, five hours north. With no shortage of nature surrounding the area, outdoor activities were a norm. Moving down south I was told I would not be disappointed in the amount of opportunities for similar hobbies I could perform, but never did I plan for it to play as important of a role as it has in starting my new life here in San Diego.

My first friend was made at my new place of work, Hash House A Go Go. The best way for me to break the ice was to ask her, “Would you want to go on a hike?”

Iron Mountain Trail was where a beautiful friendship began to blossom. Located on Poway Road and Highway 67, this was almost a 6 mile hike all around. The trail is perfect for beginners, providing wide paths, minimal steep incline, and beautiful scenery with every turn of the head. What made this even more perfect for my new friend and I, it was great for walking and talking, helping build relationships off the couch and away from the television.

With my first hiking experience turning out to be such a success, I tried at it again by suggesting a hike with three other potential friends. Being new to the area, I wanted to continue exploring, so we set out for something San Diego has been well known for. Given 4 ½ out of 5 stars on Yelp, Potato Chip Rock: Mount Woodson Summit was the next destination. If you’ve never been on this hiking trail, it’s time to set a date. Also located in the city of Poway, Potato Chip Rock is a more advanced 3.7 miles up, beginning with about a mile trail around Poway Lake. The trail offers unique large rock formations, allowing one to trail off and get lost climbing these large boulders if they so choose.

Once you’ve reached the top of the mountain, one may feel like giving up. Almost an hour and a half up without reaching the destination can be a little discouraging. But don’t give in.

“You’re almost there,” was a common phrase said by many on our way up.

To miss what is known as the potato chip rock was impossible. A large boulder overhanging the top of the mountain in a potato chip shape is what one will see and perhaps even feel a bit of anxiety rush through them, because to be standing on this can be dangerous. The feeling of this new accomplishment, with new friends becomes uncontrollable and definitely one for the books.

“I feel bad for the people watching TV,” said one of my new friends as all four of us would quietly overlook the land below.

It’s a beautiful hike for a beautiful day, but don’t be fooled! It is not recommended to venture up this mountain when the sun is at its highest in the sky, Potato Chip Rock can take much out of the hiker. It is important to bring plenty of water. Of course, this is vital information for any hike one decides to face.

Upon moving, never did I intend to find a significant other in my process of finding friends, but I did. On top of everything else, I met a wonderful guy. If I can give any advice, skip the movie date. My main goal when I moved was to not stay cooped up in my home, but to explore my new San Diego home instead.

On our first date, I was taken to Sunset Cliffs in Ocean Beach, which beats any movie I’ve seen. We climbed rocks and crawled into caves, explored tide pools, found creepy creatures, watched the surfers and watched the sailors. Essentially, we watched life happen instead of letting it pass us by.

To say “I’m bored” is an insult to life. There are opportunities all around us for making new friends, and discovering new things. Let’s get off the couch and see what’s in our own backyard. Who knows? You may fall in love with what you see.