Eggnog Shortbread

Want to get crafty this holiday season? I do, and I did.

I wanted to make a dessert which utilized some of my favorite holiday flavors, but I wanted it to be my own, so I set forth to the grocery store in hopes something would catch my eye.

I knew I was going to incorporate eggnog as my main flavor, but how? First, I wanted to freeze it into a popsicles and create an ice cream, but ice cream isn’t really holiday season is it? Didn’t matter, I was going to do it until I walked beside some shortbread. I can’t take all the credit, my partner came up with the idea to turn my eggnog popsicle creation into a eggnog shortbread.

Here’s what we used.

– Shortbread pack of 6

– 1/2 gal. of eggnog

– Nutella

– 1 Hershey’s chocolate bar

– 1 Lindt white chocolate bar

– mini peppermint candy canes

Here’s what we did.

First we took the 6 pack of shortbread and poured eggnog into it’s container, allowing the eggnog to slowly fill the shortbread and cover each one up until the dip in the center of the shortbread had been submerged. The freezing process is what takes the longest, we set this in the freezer for 3-4 hours, or until your own desired consistency.

Once frozen, the next step was to melt the chocolate. In a large pot, bring water to a boil. In separate bags, place the white chocolate and regular chocolate into zip lock bags and hold in water until melted completely (be sure to not let zip lock touch bottom of pot, possibly melting the zip lock). Bring melted chocolate to corner of bag and tear a tiny hole in the tip of the bag in order to squeeze out.

Take frozen eggnog shortbread out of freezer and carefully with a spoon or rubber spatula and remove from container onto a plate. With a spoon, dab a small amount of Nutella in the dips of each shortbread and spread throughout the center.

Drizzle white chocolate first in a zigzag motion over each individual cake. Repeat but start in opposite direction. Drizzle Hershey’s chocolate next, only once.

Take your mini candy canes in the bags and smash until desired crumb size, I found the smaller the crumb size the better. Sprinkle the smashed candy cane can over each shortbread.

Use extra candy canes to design however you’d like, I created a candy cane heart. Place back in freezer until ready to eat.

Enjoy my quick and simple creation!