KC’s Book Korner

Preparing for some spooky Halloween reading

It is finally October, which means that fall is now in full swing. Pumpkin Spice Lattes are everywhere you look and people are pulling out their favorite spooky movies to prepare for Halloween.

It is only fitting to create a list of books that are the perfect mix of fun and thrilling to get readers in the mood for All Hallows’ Eve.

Firstly, any of the “Harry Potter” books would suffice. It is fair to state that this series was, and continues to be, a phenomenon. Especially with the revivals through Pottermore and “Harry Potter and the Cursed Child,” people of all ages are inspired by the series. Unless someone has been living under a rock, they know that “Harry Potter” creates a thrilling and captivating story line as J.K. Rowling tells the tale of Harry and his friends defeating the darkest wizard of all time. Combined with vengeful characters, this series is a must to get into the Halloween mood.

“The Bell Witch” by Brent Monahan is especially chilling. This book actually recounts the only documented case in American history where a spirit supposedly caused a man’s death. As far-fetched as it may seem, Monahan tells the story of a spirit by the name of “Old Kate” who moved into the home of John Bell and his family. Town schoolteacher Richard Powell kept written record of the strange voices he heard and supernatural acts he witnessed against the Bell family. Eventually, this manuscript fell into the hands of Monahan, who then created this novel for the rest of America to read. Truly creepy, this book is just the right amount of haunting to spark the buzz of October.

“The Witch’s Daughter” by Paula Brackston tells the story of 384 year old Elizabeth Anne Hawksmith, an immortal witch who has escaped death time and time again. In 1682, Elizabeth witnessed the hanging of her mother; afterwards going to the one man she thought she could trust to help her. After the warlock who goes by Gideon discovers new powers Elizabeth wasn’t even aware she had, he stops at nothing to find her and demand payment for his aid. Present day, Elizabeth lives a modest life, until she befriends Tegan, a young girl that she teaches her the ways of a Witch. However, her life is overturned when Gideon returns and she has to do everything in her power to protect herself as well as her surrogate daughter. Filled with spooky spells and evil villains, this book is the ideal read for October.

Frankly, anything by Stephen King will fit the bill of a Halloween reading list. “The Shining” perfectly sets the scene at the Overlook Hotel, as the Torrence family stays there to care for the resort for the winter. As time goes on, the family takes note of the changes occurring at the hotel, as seemingly supernatural occurrences start to unfold. Fueled with hauntings and paranoia, King shares the story of weakness and a family being torn apart. The Boston Globe gives credit where it is due, saying “he’s the author who can always make the improbable so scary you’ll feel compelled to check the locks on the front door.”

There are countless books that can fall under this category, but these are a few to prepare readers for a month of hocus-pocus. After all, Halloween is the time to unleash the fun, and frightening- and sometimes, even the all too real.