Animal Sanctuary Aims To Improve Animal Lives

Caitlyn Landi-Bishop

Lions Tigers & Bears, which is located just outside of Alpine, California, is a 93-acre non-profit animal rescue for not only domesticated animals, but also many exotic ones. This sanctuary is home to rescued animals such as goats, tigers, lions, bobcats, a donkey, peacocks, bears, horses, sheep, chickens, a leopard, a mountain lion, llamas, and even a talking macaw. The purpose of Lions Tigers & Bears is to provide a peaceful, tranquil, and as natural of an environment as possible for abused and neglected animals.

Lions Tigers & Bears was founded back in 2002 by a woman named Bobbie Brink. She stated that the reason for her opening this rescue was because she witnessed “the heart-breaking phenomenon” known as the ‘exotic animal trade.’

“Seeing the victims of this business, I was compelled to do what I could to help these animals. I have spent many sleepless nights picturing the tortured lives these cats end up living. The places where these marvelous animals are kept are truly disgusting – sometimes in places you would least expect, such as in miserable holding cells with no sunlight or windows, living in cages so small they barely have room to stand up or turn around,” Brink said. “Many live-in basements, never seeing the outdoors or smelling fresh air. I have seen 10 or more cats crowded together in a small enclosure, where they restlessly pace in filth and fight each other for scraps of food. Some starve to death.”

Lions Tigers & Bears is a non-profit, which means that the donations from its attendees and donors is what pays to keep the lights on and the animals fed. They have a team of people who work extremely hard together to ensure they meet and exceed the expectations of taking care of all the animals on their land.

They also use the donations that are given to provide these animals with as realistic as possible environment and an appropriate diet for their species. They are amid an expansion project right now and plan to do even more soon.

Another aspect that donations allow them to do is rescue missions.They have performed and successfully rescued many animals, which is done because of the donation and support from their  valued members and guests. To see a full list of their accomplishments, animals, staff, and donations options, visit the Lions Tigers and Bears website.

If someone would like to help Lions Tigers & Bears with their cause they can volunteer, join their adopt an animal program, buy their cruelty-free skin-care products, become a member, buy a commemorative brick, intern, or simply donate!

The sanctuary has a Christmas Festival Fundraiser coming up as well, if one would like to attend and be a part of their holiday celebration. Another great way to help them with their cause is to have one of their representatives come speak at places of work, school, clubs and etc.

This is to educate the public on the dangers associated with exotic animal trading and to explain the great importance of Lions Tigers & Bears and other organizations and rescues like it.

If you are interested in attending this animal sanctuary, then go online and book your visit today. They have tours Wednesdays and Thursdays at 10:30 a.m. and Fridays and Saturdays at 10:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m.