Fall student art show makes history as last exhibit in gallery

There was a great turn out for the opening and reception of this year’s annual Mesa College student art exhibit “Be a Voyeur” on Nov. 30.

The art exhibit held 80 pieces of Mesa College students’ artwork. The art varied from color theory, painting, design, freehand drawing, sculptures and photography. Food and beverages were served and many of the instructors were selling their artwork.

Mesa student Jessica Larson was moved by the hard work and passion that went into each piece of artwork.

“These students have a lot of talent and I am glad I was able to witness it,” said Larson.

Each piece of artwork had a statement book from each artist explaining their artwork and what inspired them.

Mesa art student Cara Williams, who used charcoal for her piece, stated on her statement book, “The process of using imagination rather then logic was an extremely enjoyable experience.”

Another Mesa student, Debra Jeffus London wrote about her sculpture “The Gap” as being “.about the gap between what we see and what exists. It is the gap between cultures.. our wallets and our brains, between our hearts and our self image and the gap between what is right and what is being done.” The sculpture was of a white torso with a hole cut out in the middle. When you looked in the hole there was a photo slide show.

Thanks to Proposition S, passed in 2002, this will be the last art exhibit at this facility until the New Year. Mesa College is going to build a new gallery that doubles in size of the current gallery. The new gallery will start construction in Jan. 2007 and will open in fall 2007. Until then all art exhibits will be held on the second floor of the LRC and in different places around campus.

“We are very excited about the new gallery,” said Alessandra Moctezuma, the gallery director at Mesa College. “The new gallery will have a work room and a gallery lecture room. We are also excited about the more central location which will be facing the LRC.”

Mesa student Autumn Hayes, President of the Studio Arts Club is happy about the new gallery. “Some of the things in this facility are inadequate digitally and with today’s art.” Hayes also went on to comment on the great opportunity the art exhibit gives the students. “This is a great opportunity for students themselves to experience exhibiting. It helps with their portfolio as well and gives hope for a career in art.”

“Be a Voyeur” has passed but from the looks of Mesa’s young artists, bigger and better things are to come and hopefully more students and the community can’t wait for the next exhibit.