Tips and Tidbits: Money

Tips and Tidbits: Money

10. Budgeting: Having a spending plan will help you become in control of your finances. Once you have found your monthly living expenses, you deduct that from your monthly income and you are left with your discretionary income, which is your income available for spending on entertainment, shopping or whatever you see fit to spend it on.

9. Keeping tabs: In order to get a better understanding of what your monthly expenses are then keep track of your spending for at least a month. Not only will you find out how much you are spending but it can be a real eye opener for those who are wondering where their money went.

8. Out of control: If you are completely out of control then you may need to request the help of a friend or family member. There is no shame in asking for help. Managing money can be difficult for some so have someone trust worthy help you get your finances together. It may sound childish but have them give you a set amount of money weekly so you can’t overspend. A couple months of this and you will realize your mistakes.

7. Change adds up: A quick way to save is put all your spare change in a jar. Bring back your piggy bank and watch the change add up. What do you do with the loose quarters and dimes in your pocket? It may get thrown in your car; coach cushions, or mysteriously disappears. Well the next time you are empting your pockets put you change in a jar or cup. A couple months later you will be surprised with the outcome.

6. It’s never too soon to save: Sure we think savings, what’s that? Well it is a financial security blanket that we should all have. An estimated 10% of your earnings should go into a savings account and stay there. This will help prepare you for any hard times that you may fall upon.

5. Spend less than you make: We all love to spend money; hey we live in a country of material addictions. Spending what we don’t have claimed many victims. But don’t fall prey of bad spending habits. Simply resist what you can’t afford. You’ve heard it all before but if you are spending more than you make than you either need to earn more or spend less.

4. Over-drafts add up: Banks will penalize you with an average fee of $27.40 according to a Bankrate survey for every transaction that goes over your balance. If you aren’t keeping up on managing your bank account then deal strictly with cash. You can’t spend what you don’t have in your pocket. Sure debit cards can be convenient but they can also be a hassle if you don’t balance properly.

3. If you don’t have it, don’t buy it: Pulling out that pesky plastic every time you want something is just trouble waiting to happen. A good rule to fall by is if you don’t have enough cash to buy it then leave it behind. Becoming dependable on money that isn’t really there is a sure way to get yourself in credit card debt.

2. Manage your credit cards: A lot of banks will offer a student credit card, which is a great way to establish some credit. They can’t get you in too much trouble because they usually have a credit limit of no more than $500. So try your bank to help build credit just stay away from department stores cards. They carry the highest APR of all credit cards and are a lot easier to obtain. Resist the temptation.

1. Plan ahead: We seem to act surprised when we don’t have enough money to pay for something like that yearly car registration, the fact is that it comes every year and the DMV never forgets to send it. So plan for things that you know are coming. You will be a lot happier when you’re not rummaging around for change in the couch.