Raw Talent art on display in the LRC of Mesa College

The students and faculty of Mesa College kicked off their spring student art exhibition, “Raw Talent,” by hosting a reception May 17 on the LRC patio.

The Museum Studies students and Art Gallery interns designed the exhibition while under the guidance of Professor and Art Gallery Director Alessandra Moctezuma and Gallery Coordinator Pat Vine.

A table offering complimentary crackers and dips, an assortment of breads and cheeses and coffee and cookies galore welcomed the crowd. After a stop at the refreshment table, visitors were able to saunter around the LRC while viewing the work of students.

Student Billy Singleton could be found sitting behind a table that accommodated an assortment of pottery works, which were all created by students.

“Reactions are positive,” said Singleton. “People are excited to see the stuff and amazed at the quality of it.” Singleton had only sold one of his pieces, compared to the $400 he made at his previous show on campus, which didn’t seem to bother him.

“It all started as an assignment, ” said Singleton. “Then I became addicted. This is my third semester doing it. Projects are required, but I like to take it a step further.”

Adjacent to the pottery and ceramics table sat fine art student Kristen Allen. The table presented acrylic painted rocks in the shape of animals. Allen’s painted rocks took the form of various canines, which she said are her favorite subject, along with an assortment of other animals.

Allen created the image found on the cover of the Student Art Exhibition booklet, which is also a feature on the second floor of the LRC.

“This drawing was based on a daily routine in my life of applying makeup every morning,” said Allen, regarding the cover image. “I wanted to show how this routine was influenced by American society’s obsession with youth, size and beauty. I choose who I want to be everyday, but my choices are influenced by images on TV, movies and magazines.”

Inside the LRC, selected student works were displayed on a mantle below the stairs. One in particular was a sculpture titled “Colic,” which was created by honors sculpture student Autumn Hays. She created a sculpture of her torso with materials such as plaster, wire, acrylics and polycoat and incorporated a headset device to listen to recorded sound.

“I have a tendency to get sharp abdominal pains,” said Hays. “These pains affect my life on a daily basis. This work also brings forward the thoughts of abortion and self-deprecation. As in all of my artwork I am not trying to present one specific message but rather create an experience.”

Viewers seemed to find this particular exhibit quite interesting. Many waited their turn to listen to the headphones and retain the full experience.

“It seems unusual,” said Art History major Celeste Sarvis. “While listening to the headphones, you hear a scrape or a prick on something. It’s kind of annoying, but different.”

The art on the second floor consisted of pieces such as paintings, photos, wire creations, charcoal, print and pastel. Nearly 60 students presented their works in the exhibition, all of which were accompanied by a statement from the artist, allowing for further insight.

Former Mesa student Cara Underwood complimented a combined art piece by Katie Fleck and John Baldessari.

“I like how the descriptions and words cross-reference each other with the pictures,” she said.

An image created with pencils and pastels on paper, “Silence, Strife, Struggle, Suppress,” “incorporated both art and language” according to Fleck.

“Everyone loves it,” said Moctezuma. “It is a way to celebrate the wonderful work created by students and instructors. It brings family and friends together and displays a range of work.”