Radiohead breaks out with new CD

Radiohead breaks out with new CD

Radiohead, a band formally known for their infamous song “Creep,” is out and about, writing songs and producing their own material. On Oct. 1, the band announced their latest album, “In Rainbows,” which is being produced by Radiohead band members themselves without any record label involvement.

With 10 level-headed tracks, Radiohead seems to have it down with mixing it up in their lyrics and melodies.

Band members Thom Yorke (vocals, guitar), Ed O’Brien (guitar, vocals), Jonny Greenwood (guitar), Colin Greenwood (bass), and Phil Selway (drums) formed back when they all attended Oxford University in 1989. The band started out with the name “On a Friday”, due to the fact that they would practice on Friday nights. Later on they changed to Radiohead, taking name inspiration from the band Talking Heads’ song, “Radiohead.”

“In Rainbows” is definitely one of Radiohead’s most romantic-sounding albums to come out yet, with lyrics such as “I don’t want to be your friend, I just want to be your lover – no matter how it ends, no matter how it starts” (House of Cards). If this song doesn’t touch you, try listening to “All I Need.” The lyrics in this song are deep and deal with more than love and hate, with down-to-earth, “Wow, that’s exactly how I feel,” lyrics.

Although the title “In Rainbows,” doesn’t necessarily mean pot of gold at the end of one, in this case it does. The album is full of inspiring lyrics and soft melodies The band takes inspiration from groups like Pink Floyd, the Pixies and My Bloody Valentine in their younger albums. In “In Rainbows” they show that they are starting to find themselves in music and songwriting, the album sounds more like, well, Radiohead and no other.

Many Radiohead fans have been waiting for the band’s album to come out, though Radiohead gave fans the option to pay whatever they’d like for the album on their website.

People wanting to purchase Radiohead’s “In Rainbows,” can visit the band’s website where fans can pay whatever they want to for the album – either for a disc box containing the new album on CD and on a vinyl record, or a second CD containing new songs, photos and artwork as well as a lyric booklet. Fans can also download just the tracks.

“In Rainbows” is most definitely one of Radiohead’s most shocking albums yet, to be remembered.

“In Rainbows” will be coming out in 2007; look for the well-awaited album in stores Dec. 3.