Vampire Weekend’s release strong debut

All of the correct components are present on Vampire Weekend’s self-titled debut. Jangly guitars, quasi-intellectual lyrics and “smart” influences such as Paul Simon, Orange Juice, African pop, and just the right amount of the Talking Heads.

This is the revenge of the nerds, but done right, and without becoming stale in its propriety. Vampire Weekend stands for the same geek chic that made Wes Anderson such a success in Hollywood. This New York quartet banded together back in ’06 at Columbia University, as the members were finishing up their studies. Their first gigs were at university clubs and parties.

The sound is preppy but playful, like a bunch of schooled musicians wearing tweed who just started doing what they really wanted to do all along instead of the long hours spent practicing the pentatonic scales.

The CD hits the ground running with “Mansard Roof,” which segues nicely into the clever and smooth “Oxford Comma.”

“Cape Cod Kwassa Kwassa” is an instant favorite with a Caribbean beat and nice lulling base.

“Boston” is an unbashful love letter to Jonathan Ritchman. The best track of the album is the frantic escapist number that is “Walcott,” a song about anywhere but here.

The whole album has a quirkiness and a boyish dreaminess to it that is endearing. The arrangements are carefully structured and executed, but instead of making the music feel overtly organized the songs are still fun and vibrant.

Vampire Weekend is brimming to the edge with eagerness and confidence that only a debuting band can have, and a welcome arrival in the slow first quarter of the music year. “Vampire Weekend” was released on XL on Jan. 29.