Mesa students contribute at life saving campaign

Mesa students donated blood to the San Diego Blood Bank to benefit Sharp Children’s Hospital on Sept. 19 and 20.

The bloodmobile was parked in front of the college’s admissions office and its appealing size grabbed the attention of students passing by. Many of them were interested in donating but did not have enough time. Fire Administration student Garrett Weekly, though, made sure to make time.

“I do it every three or four months because people need blood,” he said.

Weekly has been donating for about three years now, and believes it also benefits himself.

“It saves people’s lives and it’s good for your body to replace all the old blood,” he said. “It’s a win-win situation all around. When you get rid of the old stuff it helps your body produce new blood at a faster rate. It’s good for yourself.”

When asked if he thought people should donate, he was emphatic.

“Absolutely,” he said. “Blood is always low, everybody always needs blood. It only takes half an hour out of your day. It’s a good thing to do.”

In the morning of the second day of the campaign, though, only a few people donated.

“I think the major thing is that people are afraid of needles,” he said. “I know a lot of people that would like to do it, but they’re definitely afraid of big needles. They’re used to the smaller needles. They’re just scared. Sometimes you pass out too, and people are afraid of that. But it’s fun. It’s good times.”

When asked why his hand was turning blue, Weekly laughed.

“My hand always gets blue,” he said as he donated blood. “[But] you get free food if your hand turns blue; and orange juice. Sometimes you get coupons and free stuff-$5 off Henry’s, free burritos.”

Janneth Nicolas was the nurse in charge in the second day of campaign. She was concerned about the few number of donations.

“Yesterday we got 15 units [of blood],” she said. “Our goal for today is 30, but it looks like we are not going to get it.”

According to Nicolas, this was not the first time Mesa promoted the campaign. The SDBB comes to the school three times a year.

“We are coming back on December 7,” she said. “I hope everybody comes [next time] because we are short of blood. Please come, don’t be scared of needles.”

Bloodmobile driver Marvin Murray has been working with SDBB for six years. He said there would not be a better cause to serve after retiring from the Army. Murray is very concerned about the blood shortage.

“I don’t know how to make [the campaign] bigger,” he said. “Maybe a raffle, barbecue grill, I don’t know, whatever it takes.”

Murray wanted to see more engagement from college students.

“Donate blood, save a couple of lives,” he said. “Get some great gifts. Do something for your community. Volunteer your time.”

According to the SDBB, donors are required to be in generally good health and feel well, be at least 17 years old and weigh at least 110 pounds. Blood tests such as syphilis and HIV are performed with each donation.

More information can be obtained at www.sandiegobloodbank.org.