Protesters rather nude than furry

Protesters rather nude than furry

Approximately 20 PETA members gathered April 5 outside the Burberry store in the Fashion Valley Shopping Mall to raise awareness of the mistreatment of animals.

“We’d rather go naked than wear fur,” said Matt Rice, Senior Campaign Coordinator for People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals. Similar demonstrations are held at popular spots throughout the world including Paris, London, New York, Hong Kong, San Francisco and San Diego.

PETA members were carrying signs that read, “Wear your own skin — let animals keep theirs,” while moving from outside the Burberry store to the corner of Avenida De Las Tiendas and Friars Road. Drivers on the streets and the public at large were able to see the nude demonstration and participate by giving a honk of their horn or shouts from afar.

Three professional models wore nothing other than a banner reading, “We’d Rather Go Naked than Wear Fur.”

“It is an eye-catching way to grab attention, which really does work and is a huge spike to our web traffic,” said Rice.

PETA’s incentive is to raise awareness and gain support to boycott the Burberry fur industry. Burberry continues to exploit animals for profit.

Another objective of PETA is to make fur coats seem less appealing after learning who endured the torture, suffocation, electrocution, or gassing for the consumer to appear “fashionable” or stylish.

Burberry has been informed and is well aware of the lifestyle these animals bear while on fur farms. Still, they continue with their fur line and ignore what goes on behind closed doors.

Unlike Burberry, lines such as Prada, Tommy Hilfiger and Polo Ralph Lauren have opted to go fur free.

“I’ll gladly bare my skin if it will help save animals’ skins,” said Christina Cho, one of the demo models, according to the PETA press release. “Even in the 21st century-with so many stylish, comfortable alternatives to fur available-Burberry is still supporting one of the most hideous industries on the planet.”

However, everyone does not feel the same way as PETA activists do. For instance, a lady from her car opted to yell out, “Officer, can’t you arrest those girls for indecent exposure?”

Rice stated that he hopes the PETA “Bloody Burberry” demo will soon reach every city and beyond. Once this information is available to the public at large, PETA hopes the Burberry chain will eventually wise up and discontinue its fur line.

The demo gained significant coverage by four local newscasters representing media such as Fox 6 News and ABC. Cops were on-sight while shouts and car horns were heard from the street. Two PETA activists decided to cross onto the median and hold their signs above their heads to accrue additional attention.

The demonstration managed to draw an overall positive reaction and genuine concern from pedestrians out and about. A young boy was walking alongside his mother and asked, “Mom, why are all those people carrying signs and shouting out about fur?”

With any luck for PETA members, this information about the Burberry fur industry will reach people of all ages. Ideally, Burberry will then end their fur line.

The demo ran from 12 p.m. to 1 p.m. Rice stated this would not be the last demonstration in San Diego. He plans to continue with periodical demos throughout the area while simultaneously running other groups to perform worldwide.

Up-coming protests and demonstrations against the Burberry fur line are continuously announced on PETA’s website, www.BloodyBurberry.com or www.PETA2.com.