United States of Google?

(U-WIRE) NORMAL, Ill. — They dress themselves up for Halloween, throw confetti for the Persian New Year, and fly the flag on American Independence Day.

For users of Google, any given search on any given day may be part of a small, light-hearted celebration of well known, or obscure, holidays and anniversaries.

However, some conservatives found no reason to celebrate last week, when the company altered its logo to celebrate the 50th anniversary of the Sputnik launch.

Conservative bloggers, politicians and activists gasped.

Why was an achievement by the Soviets being honored on an American website? Additionally, why celebrate Sputnik when holidays like Veteran’s Day and Memorial Day go unmarked on the companies signature front page?

Google responds in saying it marks lighthearted and obscure holidays and achievements, and because of this, sees more serious occasions as inappropriate to honor in such a way.

However, why should Google have to defend such actions in the first place?

It cannot be argued that Memorial Day, Veteran’s Day and Columbus Day are important American holidays.

But, why not raise concern about colleges and other public institutions that do not allow days off during these holidays?

Additionally, when has Google ever been an institution that has been in any way seen as conventional? Employees are afforded naps, buzz around on Segway scooters and most likely have the most comfortable, and unconventional, workplace in the United States.

It is also true that the company has a history of fascination with the space program. In recognizing Sputnik as a major achievement for human beings, rather than a threat in a space race that ended many years ago, Google shows forward thinking.

After all, last time we checked, one of the largest partners for the U.S. space program is Russia.

So, why is anyone surprised the company would shed spotlight on China’s Dragon Boat Festival and choose to only mark one American patriotic holiday?

The company should continue its unique and lighthearted tradition.

Apparently in the eyes of those harshest in their criticism, the company should end its celebrations all together.

It seems odd that so many times, upbeat and well-intentioned quirks by companies and organizations are criticized and condemned.

In the eyes of some, it is better to have a stagnant, bland social atmosphere than to go out on a limb and try something different.

Maybe conservatives should pay more attention to the first Google search result for Sputnik.

NASA’s history site.