The Vagina Monologues grace campus

The Vagina Monologues grace campus

In honor of Women’s History Month, “The Vagina Monologues” is being presented at Mesa College.

“The point is to create this whole paradigm of personality,” said Summer Dunsmore, the producer of the play. “Women should be able to express themselves however they want; that is important to me.”

“The Vagina Monologues” will be performed in G101 on March 14 at 7 p.m. and on March 15 at 2 p.m. and 7 p.m.

Dunsmore got involved with the project helmed by the Women’s Student Union after having tried out for a part in the monologues and found out that they needed help.

“You find a project you are passionate about, and you kind of get swept away with it,” Dunsmore said.

Having already produced the student film “Guardian Angel,” Dunsmore felt up to the task and got onboard.

This year is also the 10th anniversary of “V-Day,” which was a sort of reaction to the award-winning play.

“The Vagina Monologues” was written in 1996 by playwright and activist Eve Ensler. The play is structured as a sequence of monologues concerning sex, love, rape, mutilation, birth, masturbation, and well, vaginas.

“I am not going to lie,” said Dunsmore. “You are either going to love it or hate it.”

“The Vagina Monologues” is presented as a thought-provoking exploration of the triumphs and tribulations women go through because of their sexuality. Often it also manages to present its ideas and materials in a funny and entertaining manner.

Dunsmore said, “the screenplay is something that should be celebrated.”

Tickets are $10, and the revenues will go toward the Center of Community Solutions. CCS is a local crisis center working against violence against women. They also provide shelter for abused and raped women.

“I am really glad to be working with them,” said Dunsmore.

Over the years, Ensler has added pieces to the play, including one skit that deals with Hurricane Katrina, and another monologue concerning living in Afghanistan under the rule of the Taliban called “Under the Burqa.”

Dunsmore said that her effort is to execute the ideas of the cast and the director, Christine McBrayer, with whom she has worked closely with.

Time has also been put into trying to bring more of the community into project.

Venues of promotion include Ray Street, Lestat’s, the Che Café, the San Diego Union-Tribune and Sign on San Diego. The fact that the play is being hosted at Mesa College doesn’t mean that it is Mesa exclusive. The general public is welcome during the show’s two-night run.

“If people see something that intrigues them, they can come and check it out,” said Dunsmore.