New event strives to increase environmental responsibility

Mesa College’s first-ever event called Canyon Day, aspires to bring environmental awareness to Tecolote Canyon, one of San Diego’s most well preserved parks, on May 3.

The idea for the event was realized when Mesa requested to the San Diego City Council to build a new parking structure at the head of a branch of Tecolote Canyon, which would displace some of its native plants and animals. Councilwoman Donna Frye recommended that in return, Mesa should sponsor an annual community educational experience in the canyon.

Mesa was quick to accept the proposal, as many of its science classes use the canyon as learning material for students. Mesa President Rita Cepeda came up with the idea for Canyon Day.

The primary goals of the event are to bring the campus and community together and to heighten awareness about the unique ecosystem that dwells within the canyon, and to create excitement around conservation.

The co-chairs for Canyon Day, Dean of Student Affairs Ashanti Hands and Public Information Officer Lina Heil, have taken full involvement in the project and are continuously thinking of ways to better it.

“Everyday it’s growing,” said Heil.

Hands and Heil have also been amazed by the amount of involvement of the surrounding community. Hands said that local businesses and organizations have been eager to volunteer time and donations to promote and enhance the event.

“Being part of planning this activity has been a great introduction to the campus and the amazing sense of community that exists on campus and in the surrounding community,” Hands said.

Students at Mesa have also been quick to respond to the opportunity to make the event a successful one. On April 12, Mesa students, led by Geology Professor Don Barrie, spent the afternoon removing litter and non-native plants form the canyon’s walking trails, in order to ready them for the educational nature walks that will take place on Canyon Day.

A student from the film department documented the project in a short two-minute film, which he posted on You Tube, under the title “Tecolote Canyon Cleanup.”

Canyon Day will open with a traditional Native American blessing given by Jane Dumas, an elder of the Kumeyaay Indians, who were the native inhabitants of the canyon.

Other activities include nature walks, a history of the canyon, tips on “going green” provided by Mesa’s Enviro Club, a presentation on the native plants and hands-on activities for children, such as rock painting and making peanut butter and pinecone bird feeders.

Admission to Canyon Day is free, and there will also be a number of vendors, which all have some tie in or theme involving the environment, selling food and drinks among other things. Canyon Day takes place on May 3 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. For More information, visit www.sdmesa.edu/canyonday or call 619-388-2699.