Students shine at Golden Scissors

Students shine at Golden Scissors

The San Diego Mesa College Fashion Department hosted their 27th annual Golden Scissors Fashion Show and Awards Ceremony on Friday, May 16 at the Sheraton San Diego Hotel and Marina.

The Golden Scissors Fashion Show is held at the end of each spring semester. With roughly 400 people in attendance this year, the entirely student produced event was truly a testament to the four months of planning and work that went into production. Over 150 students participated in the show, which this year took the theme of “Jet Set”.

The event began at 6pm with a silent auction benefiting student scholarships and a pre-show VIP reception. Tickets in advance were $15 for students, $20 for general admission, and $30 at the door. Patrons could also purchase VIP tickets for $45 each that included access to the VIP reception and preferred seating at the show.

The pre-show atmosphere outside the main gala ballroom was filled with anticipation as attendees anxiously awaited the 7:30pm runway call time. Tables were set up in the reception hall displaying samples of student designs and volunteers raffled off VIP seat tickets to patrons awaiting the main event.

At 7:15, the ballroom doors opened and the seats quickly filled around the brightly lit runway while the DJ at the back played loud dance music for the oncoming crowd.

The Multimedia Department at Mesa College showcased their skills by creating the visual slideshows that were displayed on huge projection screens on either side of the stage.

The show began as the light dimmed and faculty representatives from the fashion department, Andrea Marx and Susan Lazear, took the stage to welcome the audience.

Keeping with the “Jet Set” theme, the show took flight around the world with each fashion category being represented by a different city. There were 10 categories including Children’s Wear, Weekend Wear, Evening, and Retro Redo being represented by cities like Tokyo, Palm Springs, Paris, and London.

The music and visuals appropriated to the different cities which helped to authenticate the various scene changes.

The models were of all ages and sizes and included students, volunteers and even some of the designers themselves.

Rita Cepeda, the President of Mesa College not only attended the event, but participated as one of the volunteer models in the Millinery category.

Highlights of the Fashion category portion of the show included an onstage performance by the Mesa Hip Hop Dancers and the Fantasy category that showcased creations made from recycled, non-fabric materials such as plastic bags, candy wrappers and “for rent” signs.

The Categories portion of the show was followed by the Collections created by 11 of the advanced fashion design students. Each student was given the opportunity to create, title and present their own collection of work as a culmination of their accomplishments in the Fashion Design Program.

The final portion of the runway event presented a fashion line designed by a former Mesa student who has achieved success in the fashion industry.

Michelle Landry, who finished the Mesa Fashion Program in 1993, presented her line of vintage inspired lingerie called “Lucy B”, which is now sold in boutiques around the world.

After the show, first, second and third place winners were announced for each category as well as best in show, continuing excellence, and rising star award winners. Budding model and College President, Cepeda, presented the awards.

The graduates and certificate recipients were also honored for their achievement.

As the evening came to a close, those in attendance filed out of the gala ballroom in discussion of the nights events to mark the end of another successful production of the annual Golden Scissors Fashion Show.