Former Mesa VP dies of cancer

Former Mesa VP dies of cancer

Dr. Richard Rose, former San Diego Mesa College Vice President of Student Services, died at the age of 56 on March 10 after battling pancreatic cancer.

According to San Diego Community College District Chancellor Dr. Constance Carroll, Rose was a dedicated advocate for students. He made sure that students received the services they needed, as well as the encouragement to succeed. He always made that a priority during his time at Mesa College from 2002 to 2006.

The Modesto Bee reported that Rose left Modesto Junior College in December after clashes with faculty that included a no confidence vote. Despite the strain, the campus is mourning a leader they call a community college advocate.

Prior to his work at Mesa, Rose served as Dean of Counseling and Matriculation at DeAnza College in Cupertino and Dean of Admissions, Records and Enrollment Services at Santa Rosa Junior College in Sonoma. Prior to his administrative role at Santa Rosa, Rose was a counselor and Counseling Department Chair. He served as Faculty Senate President and also was an active member of the Academic Senate for California Community Colleges, including service as a member of the Executive Council.

Rose had an impressive history of involvement beyond his institutional roles. He chaired the State Chancellor’s Office Counseling Advisory Committee; was a member of the Chancellor’s Office Matriculation Advisory Committee and the Counseling and Library Issues Committee; and served on the Historically Black College Committee. Rose also has served on technical assistance teams to other colleges, on Western Association of Schools and Colleges accreditation teams and on matriculation site teams. Rose is the author of several policy papers on student services issues in the California Community Colleges.

Rose is survived by his wife DeBorah Johnson-Rose, his mother Beatrice Thomas, his daughter Janelle Rose and granddaughter Jaeda R. Todd.

Remembrances were held March 16 with his funeral the following day at North Hills Baptist Church.

Cards may be sent to the Family of Richard Rose, 6582 North Western Ave., Fresno, Calif. 93722.