Mesa College taking stride for a cure

Mesa College taking stride for a cure

The San Diego Mesa College Women’s Union participated in the thirteenth annual walk for a cure held by Making Strides Against Breast Cancer charity foundation on Oct 17.

The crowd dressed in pink conversed excitedly around the starting point on a rainy Sunday morning in Balboa Park. Names of women who lost their lives as well as women who conquered the disease were lovingly plastered all over significant signs and shirts. Families walked in spirit with their loved ones who fell to the disease.

“The club has been participating for the past four years, and we want to continue helping other women with breast cancer,” said Rachel Monk, the Co-President of the Mesa Women’s Union Club. “The best part about the race was definitely the camaraderie surrounding us and everyone getting involved while helping others.”

The charity walk was started with the hope of creating a brighter future for women all over the world. Participants united to stop the fierce spread of this devastating disease that is greatly affecting the female population.

Sadness was outshone by hope throughout the gloomy day. Bonds formed through common experience gave people hope that society can discover a cure by working together. Dozens of teams participated, hoping to raise the most money for the cause.

The San Diego Mesa College Women’s Union raised $625, which was $25 over their goal. “Stacy’s Circle of Friends” came in first place by raking in over $99,000. In second place was “Team Waxie” raising over $71,000.

“We raised more than our goal and I was really excited, considering the economic troubles, it was nice to raise that much,” said this year’s team captain Yvonne Spayd, “I just really hope a cure comes out of all this.”

From energetic senior citizens to dogs wearing pink sweaters, hundreds of people huddled together in the rain for warmth during the four miles it took to complete the trek. Officials temporarily blocked off traffic on Highway 163 so that the charity walk could complete its meaningful journey.

“It was so cool that the freeway was closed for the event. It made me realize just how important the charity was, for the city to close down a part of its freeway. For us to get to walk on one side while cars were still going on the other side was really fun,” said Michelle Hawk, Vice President of the Mesa’s Women’s Union.

Participants crossed the finish line with a sense of satisfaction in knowing they had received a great work out for a wonderful cause. A tremendous $740,932.89 was raised overall for the cure on the day.