Administration changes proceed smoothly

Each semester brings a quiet shuffle of administrators at Mesa. To the credit of the college, the fact that many don’t notice a change in the administration shows the fluidity and efficiency of the process.

Brian Stockert has taken the position of the Acting Vice President of Student Services while a search for an interim, and eventually permanent, Vice President is conducted.

Former Vice President of Student Services Barbara Kavalier left Mesa College to serve as President at San Jose Community College. Kavalier, somewhat serendipitously, will be working under former President of Mesa College Rita Cepeda who is now Chancellor of the San Jose / Evergreen Community College District.

Charles Zappia stepped down as Interim Dean of Social and Behavioral Sciences.

“My grateful thanks to Charlie for his contributions to his school and college,” said Mesa College Interim President Elizabeth Armstrong in her January President’s Message.

The chair of the Mesa Diversity Committee is being filled by Denise Rogers, art history professor.

Physical Education Professor Ed Helscher, Chemistry Professor Salou Saidane and History Professor Donald Abbott have been chosen to ensure Mesa’s compliance with the recommendations put forward by the Western Association of Schools and Colleges last semester.