ASG Provides an Action Plan for Campus Life

New Mesa ASG President Jay Walker.
New Mesa ASG President Jay Walker.

The student president of Mesa College, Jay Walker, is a 21 year old  man filled with bright ideas to improve student life on campus.Motivated to transfer to UCLA, the young president  moved from Seattle, WA with the hope to study in a community college where he could save money . Jay has big plans both, for himself as well as for all the students that are enrolled in Mesa College.

One of the reasons that pushed him to run for president was the fact that he wanted to create a program that provides books for students. “We have a textbooks exchange program that is happening right now.” The particularity of the program is that the students bring a textbook that is used in one of their classes and exchange it to a book that they need. That way, the students are able to study for their classes free of charge.
Even though he hasn’t been president for long, he already has in his agenda many things that will improve the student’s stay at Mesa before transfering to a 4 year university. Willing to make some differences in the community, the president wants to solve the parking lot problems. The solutions are that the students can park in the armory and a shuttle bus will take them to and from campus. “This will do two things: first will be additional parking and second, more spaces here, more relaxing.” Aware also of the fact that the staff members can park in student spots without getting tickets, the president is more than decided to take a step farther and to do something about this issue. He recognizes that is going to be a tough job but he will try to get more resources for  students.

The Student Government also considered that they had to do something for all the veterans since Mesa has a large number of veteran students.Because they wanted  veterans to have a room where they could study and print for free, they turned one of their offices in a veteran center. “We felt that there is such a large veteran population that we had to do something for them. They deserve it!”
Knowing that this is not enough, the student government created a homeless students program called HOST: Homeless Outreach Transition Program. Through this program, they are trying to get food that students can donate and give it to those that are in need.  The main reason of this program is to help homeless people but the program will also help those students who are hungry and can’t afford to buy food.

The Government is the student’s voice on campus. Not many people are aware of the fact that the community college wanted to raise the parking fee to $36. The president decided that is time to act so they met with Mesa and they worked together to keep the fee at the same price. The student government is the bridge that fills the disconnection between the staff and students. They represent the voice of Mesa. . As he was saying “Closed mouths don’t get fed.”