Surf Dog Postponement

Surf Dog was Postponed Due to Water Contamination
waves
Photo Credit: Olivia Henry
“waves”

The 11th Annual Surf Dog competition, a fundraiser for the Helen Woodward Animal Center, was postponed until Sunday, Oct. 2, due to water contamination. The Helen Woodward Animal Center was informed by lifeguards that the water levels had reached a point of toxicity that would be unsafe for dogs and their owners to surf and swim in. This was an unfortunate turn of events for all parties involved in the Dog Surf-A-Thon that was supposed to be held this past Sunday. However, this is not the first time that Surf Dog has been postponed due to high toxicity levels in the water in San Diego.
In 2011, due to a sewage spill, the Helen Woodward Animal Center had to postpone the event a few weeks as well. Although, California does not have to deal with the extreme amounts of water contamination the rest of the country and even the world do, it is still a serious and worsening problem right here at local San Diego beaches. Life-long surfer and stand up paddleboarder of over forty years here in San Diego, Bill Maloney, explained a little bit about the water contamination problem he faces all the time due to pollution. Mr. Maloney stressed the importance of the fact that “people don’t realize everything that goes down the street drains goes directly into the ocean unfiltered” and “contaminants in the run off can be all the way from restaurants power washing the inside of the restaurant out into the street, to chemicals used for agriculture, to even all the chemicals golf courses put into their turf.” These everyday activities in which people barely bat an eye at are creating significant and lasting effects on our oceans, lakes, and rivers. Mr. Maloney suggested contacting the Surfrider foundation if you would like more information on water contamination or would like to help fight it. Nevertheless, the event will be held once the water toxicity decreases and then the beloved, and anticipated for, dog surfing will proceed.
A former Helen Woodward Animal Center employee, Avery Helgeson, stated that: “Surf Dog has always been my favorite event by the Helen Woodward Animal Center. Over eighty dogs of all ages and sizes take surf lessons throughout the summer to get ready for this event and compete to win the ‘Top Surf Dog’ title. There are tons of vendors and games available during the day and a doggie costume contest at the end. Although, it was postponed for a few weeks, there is a team of staff and volunteers making sure the event will be as fun and successful as ever.” Although dogs and people alike were very disappointed and surprised with the sudden postponement of the event, it is clear that supporters, employees, and volunteers of the Helen Woodward Animal Center will not let this deter them from the exciting fundraising event on Oct. 2. The postponement of this event has only increased the intensity of enthusiasm and anticipation for all participants and canine companions involved.