And don’t let the door hit you on the way out

It’s the holiday season and what better way to celebrate than with angry e-mails cluttering the San Diego Community College District distribution list.

The President of the Miramar College Associated Students, Bryan Hughs, has started another round of e-mails, this time announcing his resignation.

Hughs found it necessary to send e-mails to every person on the District list (about 5,000 employees).

He suggests that Miramar should find a Dean of Student Affairs that “knows how what they are (sic) doing when it comes to student government, politics and friendship.”

Hughs goes on to say that the Vice President of Student Services needs a backbone and should come to an Associated Student meeting occasionally.

The rant seems pointless until he gets to what seems to be his real reason for resigning.

“If you actually get a survey and/or self test done, do not be surprised to find that we have about a 20-1 liberal to conservative imbalance,” said Hughs. “This is not a professional education.”

Someone should tell him that just because everyone doesn’t share his political views, doesn’t make them less able to give the same standard of education.

He further insults the teaching staff by adding “.many of the hippies you baby-boomers went to school with are now teaching the youth of America thier (sic).bullshit.” Hey, Hughs, try spelling correctly while insulting someone else’s intelligence.

The teaching staff at Miramar can’t be that bad considering Hughs dedicates the majority of the e-mail to thanking the 16 faculty members that he actually liked (I’m sure the District DL really cares which faculty members former President Hughs prefers).

This resignation is nothing more than a bitter student trying to bring down everyone who doesn’t share his political beliefs.

The dispute began when Hughs sent an equally ignorant email when he couldn’t find enough conservative scholars to participate in a debate over politics.

Recipients of his e-mail started firing back on his claims that there is no diversity at Miramar College. One said, “Most people who work for the district are intelligent. This is why you cannot find many conservatives to be on the panel.”

The fight escalated into something you might find on a pre-school playground. Hughs became flustered when recipients started firing back on his conservative views. He responded, “I am shocked by the lack of intelligence and respect that is being shown by some of the responses I am getting!”

Hughs clearly has one-sided views on politics. When speaking of Miramar he said, “This is not a professional education. On the contrary it is nothing short of anti-American political indoctrination.”

So now being liberal is anti-American?

None of this would have happened if everyone complied with Hughs’ conservative beliefs. But, after all, this is America and, unfortunately for Hughs, people can choose to believe whatever they want.

Perhaps Hughs should have been taking a more active role in the campus rather than whining on District e-mails.

He claims that Miramar is a high school environment, but really he is the one contributing to the immature behavior.