It’s not that simple

These days Eco. consciousness has become one of the most profitable promotion campaigns that a suedo bohemian company like Simple Shoes can do

Simple has recently launched a campaign that emphasizes the fact that they have recently just “gone green”. Or should I say “green toe” as they call it

The company has replaced its synthetic materials with all natural sustainable or recycled materials, that they proudly manufacture in America

Though this latest epifoney of theirs to, as they say, “start saving the planet one shoe at a time” is great. There are some things you must first take into account.

Simple is not the small, independent, company that their website would lead you to believe. Simple is part of a group of companies that belong to Decker’s Outdoor Corp. a very large, multi million-dollar umbrella organization that has three main brands.

The brands that belong to Decker’s are Teva, Simple and Ugg. Teva and Ugg make no claims to being Eco conscious, because they cant. These shoes are still made in factories in developing countries like China and Mexico, out of the same, pollution laden, synthetic materials as they’ve always been. The same materials that Simple condemns.

To me this just seems hypocritical and leads me to ask, “is it right that one of Decker’s brands reap the benefits of “Eco friendly” while its others still go on polluting under the hospis of developing countries lax pollution and labor laws.”

Decker’s 23 percent increase in profits last year seem to say that people are fine with it or they just don’t know.

While the general consensus seems to be, “I’ll do my part by buying products made from sustainable materials.” On closer inspection though you might find your really supporting a corporation that is doing more harm than good.

As it becomes ever more clear that we are exhausting our planet it is these fallacies of suedo grass roots companies that keep us warm and cozy at night, thinking were doing our part. Unfortunately though yuppie Hopes and bohemian-hipster dreams aren’t going to save us. Corporations like Decker’s see this desire that people have to be “Eco. Friendly” and capitalize on it. Not for the planet but for increased revenue.