Enjoy summer fun in San Diego

Summertime is here and we happen to live in a city that millions of people visit each summer. But the great thing about living in San Diego is that we don’t have to travel far to vacation. So put away your passports because summer fun is right around the corner.

One of the best things about San Diego is that everything is just about a 15-minute drive away. Whether you want to picnic in one of the many parks, lay out on sandy beaches or hike around Mission Trails you are pretty much guaranteed to find something to do this summer.

There are endless activities that don’t have to break the bank. As students we are always trying to find something to do that won’t have us calling mom and dad for some extra cash. So be creative and think outside the box when looking for something to do.

One of the best features San Diego has to offer is free. There are 76 miles of coastline, which means endless beach opportunities. Enjoy the sunny Mediterranean climate by heading to La Jolla Shores. There might be some towel collision but that’s only because it’s so popular. Maybe you have a four-legged friend that wants to share in the fun so go to dog beach in Ocean Beach where fido can run free and you can work on your tan.

San Diego also hosts a variety of street fairs, concerts and cultural events. You may not have noticed them but there are events taking place around you. Try the Greek festival which takes place June 9-10 at St. Spyridon Greek Orthodox Church. If you like art and food then head down to La Jolla for the La Jolla Festival of the Arts and Food Faire. The 21st anniversary event showcases award winning artists, live entertainment and food from local restaurants.

Wrap up the warm weather with Street Scene. Even though it has been moved from downtown to the Del Mar Fairgrounds it still offers two days of loud music.

Try something new like watching a movie on the sail of the Star of India. The Maritime Museum offers appropriately themed movies that can be viewed from the deck. This unique opportunity is a great way to enjoy those warm summer nights with friends or maybe someone special. Admission is a little more than a standard movie ticket but how many people can say they watched a movie from the sail of a sailboat?

If you like the outdoors than maybe a hike around Mission Trails is right for you. Tucked away behind Mission Gorge lies 5,800 acres of park and trials. Absorb the abundance of vegetation and wildlife while walking through peaceful trails.

Torrey Pines State Reserve also has great trails that will take you to bluffs overlooking the Pacific Ocean. The views are spectacular.

Summer fun can be as easy as exploring your city. Remember fun doesn’t have to be expensive just explore your options and who know what awaits you.