A recipe for disaster

A recipe for disaster

A brawl on September 3, 2007 on Pacific Beach prompted city officials to consider banning alcohol on San Diego beaches. Other counties such as Orange and Los Angeles have already taken the initiative to outlaw alcohol on beaches.

According to the San Diego Union tribune, the debate is being played out in the final year of Police Chief Bill Lansdowne’s three-year push to clamp down on Fourth of July beach mayhem. The city plans to spend $1 million on overtime to run an intense policing effort focusing on Pacific Beach and Mission Beach.

Two years ago, nearby residents pushed for a July Fourth ban, but there weren’t any favorable results. Pacific Beach residents have increasingly complained about the trash and drunken behavior associated with the holiday celebration.

The Union Tribune went on to say that Councilman Kevin Faulconer, whose district includes Pacific Beach, has said he wants to give Lansdowne’s plan time to work. Faulconer said recently that he sees some success because partiers are no longer able to cart furniture onto the sand or rope off sections for private parties.

Many people view alcohol as a “perk”, while some flat out label it a drug. Besides HIV, alcohol related car crashes is the number one killer of young adults. Medical Query dot.com states that alcohol contributes to over 70,000 deaths per year. Alcohol or “Booze” has long been a controversial topic. Alcohol causes similar effects on the mind as marijuana, cocaine, crystal methamphetamine, etc. For instance, your vision can be blurred, your speech slurs and foremost, it’s a depressant. Alcohol slows down the functioning of the brain and can cause anger and aggression. In addition, poor judgments are made such as picking fights and driving while intoxicated. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration clearly stated that drivers between the ages of 15 and 20 years make up for seven percent of the driving population yet they account for at least 20 percent of traffic accidents.

Given the potential destruction that alcohol can cause, is it really okay to allow alcohol in any public place? A beach is where many families go for fun. Small children have the opportunity to play in the sand as well as splash in the water. No parent wants to expose his or her toddler to the type of mayhem that took place on Pacific Beach. There were innocent bystanders who were treated for injuries.

San Diegans who desire a peaceful day on the beach and victims of alcohol related incidents are advocates of this ban. If the ban falls through, many San Diegans will likely stand divided on this controversial topic. San Diego beaches are a popular attraction for local residents and visitors. Holidays like Fourth of July, Memorial Day and Labor Day probably won’t be the same with out seeing beer cans on the sand and in the hands of consumers. However, this may be a step to prevent any more mayhem on the beaches.