Polarized Democrats mucking up elections

The verbal fisticuffs in the media between Sen. Barack Obama and Sen. Hillary Clinton might be polarizing the Democratic party a bit too much.

Has the school ground bullying gone so far that supporters of the losing candidate will stay at home during the presidential elections?

Without blowing the current situation out proportions, there have been some low blows during the campaign season. Questions of race, gender, competence and honesty have fired up the hostility between the two candidates all throughout the winter.

It would be a poor day for democracy if rift in the Democratic party became a deciding factor in the presidential elections. On the other hand, there is no way of escaping the fact that a large section of the voters will not be standing on the winning side when all is said and done in an election as close as this one.

A problem with this is that in a country with such a low voter turnout as America, people may feel that voting is futile when they end up supporting the losing candidate.

It is the name of the game, it is the way democracy works, and we all know this. So here is to hoping that people will leave their pride behind and do the right thing on Nov. 4 and go and vote, regardless if the candidate you support actually makes the ballot or not.

There have been too many yellow flags to count them all, but here are a few to freshen up your memory.

Hillary Clinton has accused Obama of being supported by a Chicago “slum lord.” Not to be outdone, Obama responded by referring to his opponent as “the senator from Punjab” in a memo that was passed around by his campaign last year referring to her American-Indian fundraisers.

Obama’s anti-Iraq policy was dubbed “the biggest fairy tale I’ve ever seen” by former president Bill Clinton after the former’s victory in Iowa. Obama accused Hillary Clinton of serving the boardroom of Wal-Mart as a corporate lawyer while he was fighting poverty in the streets of Chicago.

All of the accounts of mudslinging above were reported in the Boston Globe.

What this country needs really bad is a uniter, but the question is if he or she turns up, it might be too late. America has grown so fractured in recent years, with completely differing situations on the West coast, in the Midwest, and on the East coast.

But then again, things can’t possibly get worse than they are right now, right?