Mexican in California: A Student’s Thought on Immigration

One million immigrants live in the United States, and at least 10,000 people have died just crossing the border since 1995.

Of course there are many that still “border hop” some just for better education and others for a better kind of life in all. Immigrants seem to be hard-workers because of their personal dream to improve the life either for their children or children’s children.

In California, the percentage of high school dropouts lowered by the 1970s, showing how immigrants wanted to start changing with education. And so did the unemployment list, immigrants were open to work and to do anything to support there families in their new home. Immigrants still to this day take the minimum wage without complaint, to them it’s the only kind of salary they can get. And the only way to start at a dream that won’t be easy.

In the 1950s, 50 percent of the immigrants in California were European and Canadian with only a 16 percent of Mexicans. Now that percentage has changed to a little more than 50 percent Mexican/Central American and 40 percent Asian, just in California. And since the1990s, there has been less and less European and Canadian immigrants. Think about all the immigrants coming to this new country for a new beginning.

The century we’re in now is no different from the century we just left eight years ago. There are still immigrants here for a better education, better jobs, and better way of life. So nothing really has changed except for technology, and maybe the new laws being passed the past few years. Some laws help immigrants giving them a chance at being U.S. citizens, while others just push them back to their own country. And their dream dies.

California now has more than 36,457,549 people with a little more than 53 percent who claim to be either Asian, African, Mexican or other. While less than one percent are native Americans. As you can see many immigrants still live here in California, making any kind of life for themselves and their family.

Do you ever wonder how hard it is for them finding work, and a place to live with no legal papers to show. Some pray everyday hoping that won’t be the last day they work, drive, or even spend with their families here in the U.S. Any day the INS can show and “ship them out.”

From a person who’s been there in that spot, I understand the fear and the annoyance. Now having our papers is different, we’re legal for once and we’re able to be interviewed for more appropriate jobs.

An immigrant, with no legal documents, can only be hired for “dirty jobs,” something no one else wants to do. The pay is low and the shifts are hard at times. The thought of a student may not be important, but I see many people from different countries still fighting for freedom, change, and fairness. And others just “take it”, and get what they can even if its low pay or nothing at all.

Immigrants, hard workers from other countries that make up the whole of the United States of America. And have for more than 400 years.