SDSU takes timely stand against drug abuse on campus

Usually news about drug busts is quickly forgotten because drug use has become commonplace. Yet the dramatic story of 33 San Diego State University students arrested by undercover cops for possession and dealing of illegal substances will not soon fade away. It has caused too much of an uproar to simply pass through the news as another expected occurrence. And for this upheaval, this unveiling of problems lurking beneath the surface, SDSU should be commended.

Some people disapprove of SDSU President Stephen L. Weber allowing the undercover agents on campus for the six months of Operation Sudden Fall, a name that refers to the possibility of a sudden death from a drug overdose. Yet with the recent drug-related death of a female SDSU student still fresh in his memory, a man who sincerely cares about his students would not turn down the opportunity to make a change for the better and possibly save more lives. With the number of students arrested since January 2008 for drug-related charges at 75, it appears he had reason to be concerned.

Others are suggesting that college students are “too easy of a target.” But youth does not provide an adequate excuse for other illegal activities and the abuse of dangerous substances should be no different. The drugs involved in this incident– marijuana, cocaine, methamphetamine and Ecstasy-are heavy substances.

In our society, hypocrisy is all but rewarded. (How else can you explain the rebirth of fame for actors and singers, like John Belushi, who died from a drug overdose?) Perhaps that’s why SDSU’s decision to expel such hypocrisy has appalled so many. Just look at a few who were arrested: a homeland security major, a criminal justice major and a freshman who was praised on the university website as a “model student” before this fiasco was revealed.

In the end, what’s done is done. People can continue posting angry comments on different websites to the school’s officials, to each other, to the people arrested, to whoever they darn well please, but it won’t change what’s happened. Whether or not you agree with the proceedings, good can come from this situation.

Let it stand as proof of the rampant use of drugs that happens every day, even on university campuses. And, please, don’t confuse something that is familiar with something that is right.