Evangelist exploits free speech areas

Evangelist exploits free speech areas

A man holding a banner reading “The wages of sin is death” exercised his right to the public free speech zones at Mesa College.

Paul Johnson has frequented the college and university campuses around his home in Los Angeles for four years delivering his message, “Only Jesus Christ can save you from sin and Hell.”

A circle of approximately 60 students gathered around Johnson to debate his claims. Most students were discontented even angered by Johnson’s presence on campus.

“I can’t believe no one’s killed you yet!” yelled 18-year-old Nazaneen Mayer, two hours into Johnson’s stay.

Campus police kept a close eye on the scene taking place between the Bookstore and the I-100 Building.

“He has a right to be here,” said Sergeant G. Connie of campus police.

While Johnson did have the legal right to be on campus, his was a message that did not belong on campus.

This man did not come to further a political message. He did not even seem to be aiming to convert.

“I don’t believe everything on this sign,” he admitted

Johnson stood with his sign of hate and oppression for, what seemed, the sole purpose of inciting anger.

Some adamantly defended Johnson’s opinions, some simply defended his right to be there, while the majority of students opposed both.

Whatever the man’s aim, the result was a fissure in the population of students at Mesa.

Free speech areas became popular in the Vietnam Era when political protests against the war were common. They were formed to protect the civil disobedience of the discontented from the oppression of the police force.

The aims of these Nixon Period protests were to unite the country in peace, not divide them in fear.

These public areas were used to pursue a more cohesive society through the use of logic, passion, peace and understanding.

The children of the 60’s and 70’s were successful only because of their widespread participation in the utilization of such areas.

Where is the political unrest now? Where is the hard-won freedom that the people of the Civil Rights Movement used and furthered so much?

This generation turns ever more toward the Internet as the ultimate and only free speech zone.

There is immense freedom in cyberspace, but where is the impact? Where is the passion?

Political blogs and message boards flourish with discontent and fiery spirit, but these protests don’t approach the affect of an activist with a microphone.

If students do not realize that their most powerful form of communication is their voice, men like Johnson will continue to abuse the free speech zones on campuses across the nation.

It’s not enough to grumble to your friends. It’s not enough to post it in a blog. It’s not enough to dream.

If students do not take their free speech zones back, men like Johnson will continue to exploit our faculties of freedom to exclaim “God hates!”