Black History Month goes wrong at UCSD

It all started with a really bad joke, if you could call it a joke.

At UC San Diego, where black students make up only 2% of the populace, it isn’t a surprise that students are feeling a great amount of unrest regarding the current racial climate on campus.

It began with the “Compton Cookout” party, which encouraged partygoers to put on their best ‘ghetto’ garb in ‘honor’ of Black History Month.

Although the party went on without any immediate problems on the night of, the event grabbed the attention of national news after the Black Student Union of UCSD declared a racial state of emergency.

Although, some students voiced that the racial emergency and the laundry list of demands made by the BSU was melodramatic.

More specifically, a small student-run television program on UCSD-TV aired a KoalaTV segment (which had not been approved for airing) criticizing students who were upset with the party, calling black students ‘ungrateful’ while also using an offensive racial slur, stating that the party was held in their ‘honor.’

So thanks Koala, you really smoothed things over.

At this point, speculation is running rampant with what the motive behind the events might have been. The racial insensitivity doesn’t seem to be directly hateful; it’s more like an irksome handful of individuals obsessed with staying in the limelight. Perhaps it is a desperate and failing act to be funny.

Once UCSD administration got wind of the TV segment, action was taken to shut down the publication and broadcast of the Koala.

The administration further went on to disrupt 33 other publications connected with UCSD. The only publication unaffected was the student run Guardian.

Although, it seems like a irrational and poor decision to shut down every other publication and a violation of the first amendment. The Koala has a bad rep for as long as it’s been in circulation, but other legitimate and respectful publications should not be put on hold for the actions of a foolish one.

Yet, a new issue of the Koala was released anyway. And the whole issue is targeted at black students and non-students alike. Isn’t the Koala’s 15 minutes up yet?

Publications that were shut down should be allowed to continue the social commentary surrounding the events happening on UCSD campus. Communication improves lives and broadens understanding.

The party that many claim was a harmless act has caused a chain of events that may successfully pull UCSD students apart. No side seems to help the situation. It’s either additional mockery of black students or the BSU demanding more changes, which may or may not help racial tensions.

And it’s a disappointment that it took this kind of activity for the BSU to create a platform for desired changes.

It is insulting and embarrassing that American college students, who should hold equality in high regard, have lowered themselves to such tasteless and crude attempts at racial humor and disrespectful mockery.

As a country we are still incredibly young, and our past may seem distant for some, but the failure to realize the hurt it still creates everyday is unacceptable.