Arizona immigration law causes conflict

Although it’s not an uncommon for immigrants to carry identification in many countries, Arizona’s new immigration laws may provide a platform for unjust racial profiling.

Since the founding of this country, U.S. citizens have witnessed various types of abuse by authorities in local, state and national law enforcement, though one would think we, as a country, have moved past such democratic injustice. But in coming months, it won’t come as a surprise to hear about mistreatment of American citizens of Spanish or Mexican decent that reside in Arizona.

We, the people of the United States of America, are the original immigrants if you really step back and re-examine history. Why the American people have such negativity towards others trying to provide a stable life for themselves and for their families, just as the original American immigrants did, is a result of unmerited emotions stemming from the national attitude of unlimited privilege.

The land of opportunity should provide just that. Our Founding Fathers were the original inconsiderate bullies that came here stomped all over the American natives to find themselves and their kin a better life. Yet, it seems illegal immigrants in the United States are doing just the same, except they aren’t stepping on anyone’s toes, and by that I mean brutal warfare, displacement, disease and enslavement.

By widening our diversity and our numbers, we can grow as a country. Not only will more citizens mean the purchase of more American goods to boost the economy, a little bit of healthy competition in the job market never hurt anyone.

The U.S. provides a place for people to be free, as far as just law lets them and a place for people to find respect and equality. We are a melting pot and should continue to be accepting of all who wish to join us in the race for a superior existence.

It’s best summed up in the words of Obama’s Cinco de Mayo speech, “.we’ve got to stay true to who we are, a nation of laws and a nation of immigrants.”