Michigan State Graduate Coaching Lady Olympians Softball Team

You many not have known it but the head coach for our lady Olympians softball team Mary Bongard was a previous Mesa student athlete in 1985-87 and a softball pupil to previous Mesa head coach Tricia Mendoza.

The Helix High School graduate Bongard, went on to play softball on a full ride scholarship as a second baseman for the Michigan State Spartans.

After Bongard received her Bachelors degree in exercise science and also her teaching credential, she returned to the Mesa Olympians in 1991 and was an assistant coach for the softball team for five years while teaching physical education and receiving her Masters Degree at Azusa Pacific in physical education.

Bongard then made the decision to take the head coaching position for women’s softball at San Diego City College. She coached at SDCC for six years, turning the team completely around.

In 2005 Bongard took a co-coaching position next to her former softball mentor Mendoza, by then a 27 year veteran coach of Mesa softball.

“I felt very blessed to have coached with Mary, she has taken a lot of time and effort shaping these girls,” said Mendoza.

All 13 of the girls on the Olympians softball team (four sophomores) were eligible for the 2007 season, thanks to the hard work of coach Bongard.

Mesa’s 2007 road schedule is tough with only eight home games but coach Bongard has high hopes for her girls this season.

The Lady Olympians are lead by sophomores: Lindsey Dewey, first base; Caley Loud, third base/catcher; Brittany Vela, catcher and Michelle Goff, pitcher/shortstop. The girls feel that they are “very strong this season with plenty of talent, an all around strong team.”

Freshman Alyssa Casiple, pitcher/outfield said, “I am really excited about this season everyone wants to be here, all the freshman work well together, I feel this is our playoff season.”

Despite having a team full of new talent, the lady Olympians have a strong freshman core bringing talent to the Pacific Coast Conference and heavy competition for competing schools.