Olympians baseball rout Palomar

The Olympians showed their dominance with a huge win over Palomar College on Tuesday, beating the Comets 13-3.

The Olympians had a relentless tear throughout the game. They have struggled the past couple of weeks within the Pacific Coast Division, but their struggles were not evident at all on Tuesday.

“Yesterday’s win I think was a result of what we did last week,” said Coach Kevin Hazlett. “Our confidence was getting back to where it was earlier in the season.”

Hazlett believed that the team had somewhat lost their way after a tough couple of weeks. He felt that the team started to gain their confidence last week with a big comeback win against Grossmont on March 10th.

The tie was broken in the bottom of the second inning when the Olympians struck first. With runners on second and third Daniel Galvan hit a single to drive in both of them to score first. Mesa scored four runs in the bottom half of the inning to take an early lead.

The game swung in Mesa’s favor in the second inning when Jeriel Waller stepped up to the plate. With two strikes against him Waller was not ready to leave the batter’s box. He fouled off at least 10 straight pitches to stay alive. He won the battle by hitting a triple to deep center to score the Olympian’s third run.

“Coach Hazlett has been talking about getting to the next pitch,” said Waller. “I was just looking to swing the bat.”

The Olympians came to life when Waller hit the triple. Although Palomar was against the ropes they did not lay down. They came back in the top of the third inning and scored two runs. Some of the momentum was now shifted into Palomar’s favor, but it didn’t last long.

In the bottom of the third inning Shain Stoner struck the final blow that really took the wind out of Palomar’s sails. In another two-strike count, Stoner blasted a two-run shot over the right field fence. Mesa continued to keep the pressure on Palomar.

“When the momentum gets going, it’s hard to stop,” said Stoner.

Mesa put on a scoring clinic by scoring three runs in the third inning, three runs in the fourth inning and two runs in the fifth inning. The Olympians dominated Palomar in all aspects of the game. Hazlett had a different type of strategy for his pitchers that really worked. Hazlett kept Palomar on their toes every inning of the game by bringing in a new pitcher at the beginning of every inning.

This was one of those games where everything went Mesa’s way. Their pitching was excellent, their defense played great, and their offense flourished. This is a game that can put the Olympians back on track and headed in the right direction.

The Olympians, who are now 11-13, play again against Imperial Valley College on Tue, March 24th.