Student athletes shine at STAR Awards

Student athletes shine at STAR Awards

Exceptional student athletes at Mesa were recognized for their academic achievements and community spirit at the STAR awards. Faculty members and student athletes from all sports were in attendance for the second annual awards ceremony.

The ceremony began with a dedication to Coach Matt Koffler. The Mesa football coach passed away on Dec. 19, 2008.

“His Olympian legacy will never burn out at Mesa,” said MAAP counselor Kristy Carson.

To kick off the festivities, track and field coach Leslie Coons sang a beautiful rendition of The Star Spangled Banner.

The highest honor of the ceremony was given to Joshua Denz. He was presented with the SUPERSTAR Award. The award is given to the student athlete who best embodies a dedication to academics, community service and athletics. Denz plays an important role with his leadership on both the water polo and swim team while also maintaining a 4.0 GPA, the Pacific Coast Conference also presented him with the Male Student Athlete Award. The water polo finished third in PCC. Denz has served in the military and also volunteers at the local YMCA.

The Individual Community Spirit Award was given to women’s soccer player Chelsea Gentry who shares her love of sports with kids in the community. She played an important role on the team as they made a historic run to the State Finals. Gentry scored a crucial goal in the second round of the playoffs to take down Ventura College.

The Team Community Spirit award went to the women’s basketball team for their participation in breast cancer awareness.

Women’s cross country and women’s track and field ran away with the Highest Team GPA awards for the spring and fall semesters.

The football team, who finished the season as American Mountain Conference champions, was recognized for having a 99% attendance rate as a group.

Carson worked with Athletic Director Dave Evans and Dean of Student Developmement and Matriculation Joi Blake to put the awards ceremony together.

“We wanted to be able to showcase our athletes as scholars,” said Carson.

2009 Individual STAR Awards Winners:

Highest GPA
Joshua Denz, Men’s water polo/swim
Amanda Piliste, Women’s swim
Laura Dassrath, Women’s tennis

Individual Community Spirit Award
Chelsea Gentry, Women’s soccer

SUPERSTAR Award
Joshua Denz, Men’s water polo/swim