San Diego microbrews putting out top notch beer

Want to grab a beer? If you live in San Diego, you’re lucky to have plenty of choices that the rest of America does not have. With this in mind, it is your duty to put down the flavorless watered down beer you bought at the gas station and go to the local brewery and support what this fine city has put out for you.

For those of you who use and respect what Yelp! Offers, the top three ranked breweries on the site are AleSmith, Hess, and Green Flash- all receiving a 4.5 star rating.

Green Flash, located in the Mira Mesa area, has a vast menu that includes many different types of beer. Just to name a few, they have the assertive hoppy beers, numerous Belgian styles and some American styles. In total, Green Flash has 24 beers on the menu, but is subject to change.

For those who are simply interested in a bang for your buck, Green Flash offers that as well. They have tasters that are available for $2 each or a 13 oz. glass for $4.

They pack a punch into those $4 as well. The West Coast IPA comes in at 7.3 alcohol by volume (AVB), Le Freak at 9.2 percent, Tripple at 9.7 percent, and if you are feeling up for it, they have a Barleywine-style ale that comes in at 10.9 percent.

Feel free to bring your dog too- Green Flash welcomes dogs as well as owners to experience what they have to offer.

The Miramar area is host to the Hess Brewing Company. Hess has the distinction of being San Diego’s first licensed nano-brewery.

Something they take to heart is brewing in 50-gallon batches in what at first glance looks like a storage unit.

But don’t let the size fool you. Hess’ slogan of great beer is “no exceptions, no excuses” and they deliver on it.

The menu is ever-changing and evolving due to the small amounts that they brew at a time.

They also sell tasters, or 13 oz. glasses, or a “flight of five” where you choose the five beers that you wish to taste and as a bonus, you get to keep the glass that it’s served in.

The top sellers at Hess include a wide range of styles and flavors from the lighter side- they have their Claritas that come in at 5.8 percent AVB to their Ex Umbris, their stout, which come in at a dark and hearty 9.8 percent.

If you are up to the challenge, their Amplus Acerba comes in at 11.3 percent but due to the high AVB.

A few blocks away from Hess Brewing is the AleSmith Brewing Company. AleSmith claims having the only Beer Judge Certification Program “Grand Master” Level One Beer Judge in San Diego County working for them.

AleSmith has ten beers that they serve year round and several others that come and go with the seasons.

Of the ten, you can be sure that they range from the lowest AVB of five percent in the Nut Brown Ale to the highest at 12 percent in their Speedway Stout.

AleSmith also offers a variation to three of their year round beers­- their barrel aged brews. The difference is after the brewing process, it is aged in a bourbon barrel for a year before it is served.

The Speedway Stout version of this has plenty of accolades to go with it, including being named best beer in the world at ratebeer.com and being featured on CNBC’s Squawk Box as best dark beer in America.

So next time you are going out to purchase your weekend beverages, don’t be afraid to take a look at the label and see where your beer was made- or even better, go to the actual brewery and get it fresh from the tasting rooms. With so many great choices that are made within only a few miles from wherever you are located in San Diego, you are doing a disservice to yourself if you don’t.