Construction continues at Mesa

The beginning of the new school year always ensures a movement of chaos and excitement, this year a part of that mayhem is the continuing construction taking place on campus.

According to San Diego Mesa College Propositions S & N Summary, the entire eco-friendly build-out will be completed by summer 2017.

The estimated $643 million project will include new instructional and career training structures, new parking facilities as well as public safety improvements. There are several current projects occupying Mesa College this year, including a new Student Services Department which is assumed to be completed June 1, 2012.  This revised four story building will contain all services needed by the students in one facility. Services such as Admissions, Financial Aid, Student Government, Counseling, Testing and Information and Disabled Student Services will all be provided.

The pandemonium taking place mid-campus is the new Math and Science Complex, due to be finished Aug. 16, 2013.

All new and redesigned buildings are constructed to fit the District’s Green Building Policy. This ensures renewable energy, 5 percent of that energy to be generated on campus, certification in the Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) from the US Green Building council and surpassing California’s Code of Regulation’s energy standards by 10 percent. These advanced ecological facilities will reduce C02 emissions and demonstrate water and energy efficiency.

Mesa College’s completed Police Station was the first police structure in the district to be LEED certified.  The environmentally conscious building contains low plumbing fixtures as well as drought tolerant landscaping.

Not only has the recent construction reduced ecological footprints, but has created over 1,200 new jobs in San Diego County.

Opinions of the construction around the campus have been mixed. Some students find difficulty navigating their way around campus, having to take longer paths to get to classes or offices.

Richard Celas said, “Parking is hard.”

Although there is a lot going on, some students are not affected by the ongoing construction work.

Briana Boggan, said “The construction doesn’t affect my classes; they’re in the same area.”

There are some minor roadblocks that are encountered. “Having to walk around to financial aid was really inconvenient,” said Boggan.

Other students look forward to the future building and renovations taking place.

Melissa Villegas said, “It’s better if they remodel, there will be more classrooms and higher technology.”

A groundbreaking ceremony will be held for the Math and Science building Sept. 28 at 10 a.m. for all students interested.

The lists of complete projects transpiring on campus are as follows:

The Math and Science Building, Instructional Technology Building, Stockroom and Campus Facilities Support Areas, Renovate and Build Student Services Facility, Cafeteria and Bookstore , the Fine Arts / Dramatic Arts Building, Temporary Parking/All-Weather Track , the Modular Village, I-300 Building Renovation, Social Behavioral Science and the Fitness Center.

The construction team preparing to lay the foundation to the future Math and Science building on September 6. Photo Credit: Nicholas Santiago/The Mesa Press

Construction continues with the Student Services Center as electrical, plumbing, and wall framing is currently underway with a set completion date in mid 2012. Photo Credit: Nicholas Santiago/The Mesa Press

View Comments (2)
$270
$500

$270
$500

• V

Verica PavlovicSep 22, 2011 at 2:11 pm

GREAT ARTICLE! Good luck Mesa you will end up with beautiful campus!

Reply
  • V

Verica PavlovicSep 22, 2011 at 2:10 pm

GREAT ARTICLE! Good luck Mesa you will end up wirh beautiful campus!

Reply